Ostomy Reversed

In this discussion
Replies
Views
dehms

Well, I had my reversal surgery on the 17th. I got out of the hospital this past Friday. I am happy it is over, but nervous that the diverticulitis will come back. Good luck to everyone with ostomies and without. We should wear our scars proudly.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,100 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

48 and losing it

Hi, I also just had my ileostomy reversed after three years! Yea. This was something I was told would never ever happen... But guess what? It did! I'm so very happy. My question to others that have also had reversals as well is what type of food stuff are you able to tolerate? I had my entire large colon removed three years ago due to system failure from my RSD/CRPS. I have been on a low fiber high protein diet since surgery. My body seems to tolerate mild fish and mashed potatoes the best, bananas and yogurt, some ice cream. I miss veggies and salads. I was a really healthy eater before I had to have my large colon removed. Any advice?? Thanks, Barb

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
JimH

Congrats, we are twins. I had my reversal on the same day. Yes, it all appears to work. I'm eating most everything. If the diverticulitis comes back, I will be too old to worry. Maybe I'll be eating soup by then anyway - no teeth, bad eyesight, etc. Life is good. My only issue is "the bowel movement." It is getting better, but that is one stupid muscle... It has forgotten everything. When I go to the little boys' room, it feels like logs are coming out. I hang onto the walls and breathe deep... However, it does get a little better every day.

jodelin

I had a reversal on May 22nd. And, I still have accidents daily and don't leave the house much. I am taking Metamucil (3 pills 3 x a day and 2 more at night). I take Imodium a lot. It is getting better but I am nervous it is going to be like this forever. I am sure it will change some but I was just hoping it would change faster.
How is it going for you guys? I gather from reading posts that we are all different and we are all going to heal differently, if at all.
But, I don't really understand why it is so hard for our bodies to perform the digestive process normally. Is it because the colon even forgets what to do or is it because the insides of our colon are damaged and don't process our food right? How will it learn? Or what really has to happen?
Do probiotics help? I heard they were usually used for constipation.
Also, I didn't note - I had cancer, so part of my rectum and 10 inches of my colon were removed. I had radiation also. Then, I had a leak which took a flap to heal it finally. So I was diverted for 16 months.
Apparently that is a long time and that muscle forgets what the heck it is supposed to do.
I hope all is going well for you both.

Have a good day.