Night Drainage Options for Ileostomy?

Replies
Views
Crohnsguy84

I purchased a urostomy container so I can plug it into my ostomy and empty it at night. I think the tubing is too small and it won't work.

Are there night drainage devices for an ileostomy?

Primeboy

I have an ileostomy now for four years and most of my output is very liquid. Several years ago, I developed a problem with an oversized prostate and required surgery too. So for several weeks, I ended up carrying two bags. Now, at night, I used a large bag connected to the side of the bed which would fill up with large amounts of urine. The hose leading to that collection device can interface with the tap at the lower end of the large Hollister ostomy pouch which I open when discharging contents. So, why don't you get in touch with one of the major ostomy/urostomy suppliers like Byram Health and chat with a rep about creatively combining materials from both fields into a device that meets your needs. I know it can be done with a little rigging. Good luck!
    PB
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,367 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

IHateColons

Don't quote me on this but I think it's Convatec that just created an ileostomy night bag. Or Coloplast...You can call any of the manufacturers and they'll send you samples and give you recommendations.

But, give it a couple more months before you settle on a particular bag or routine. Since you're new to having an ostomy, your stoma and output are going to change a lot within the next few months. You might not need a night bag once things settle down.

Crohnsguy84

I generally use the high output bags but in the hospital my bag was connected to a bigger bag that collected my output. The tubes were thick but more formed poop needed to be milked into the bag a bit. I wish I knew what that bag was called so I could order it or something similar. Maybe it was designed for urostomy but my nurse just figured it might work for me.

lorraine-cooper1960
Sadly, at the moment, I don't know of any recommended appliances suitable. The bag used for urostomy isn't compatible with colostomy/ileostomy appliances. I recommend eating a good breakfast, a medium lunch, and a very light low residue meal later in the day. I do not eat anything after 4pm or I am up all night or have bags leak. It is worth going online and asking all the different suppliers if they have a suitable product or a product in development that they need guinea pigs for. Your Ostomy nurse should be able to help you as they are kept up to date with developments and new products. Good luck and God bless.

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
Past Member

Hey, I'm Christian Levarity. I like your post. Wanna be friends with you. I have had my colostomy all my life, living in the Bahamas. Not many people are in my situation and supplies are limited. I am looking to move in the future as well. I am hoping to make friends with people in my situation, which would be nice! I also want to travel. So, hit me up if you're looking for friendship. #IHateColons

lorraine-cooper1960

My apologies, I have been very unwell and rarely been home to check my email. Yes, I enjoy making friends (purely platonic). I'm old enough to be your mum!! And if I can help, I will. So if you still want an online friend, I would enjoy that. Best wishes.