Ileostomy Output

In this discussion
Replies
Views
tudibird

Hi. I had my ileostomy 10 days ago and I'm struggling with my output. The doctor and ostomy nurse say I should have an output of 800cc's a day, but I'm only having about 400cc's a day. I'm doing my best to follow the low residue diet and drink plenty, but I can't seem to increase my output. Should I be concerned? Any advice is appreciated.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,089 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

ron in mich

Hi tudibird, the main thing is you're having output. If you're not having cramping or a bloated feeling, it's nothing to worry about. Take care and keep asking questions. Ron

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Primeboy

I found that my urine output would increase if my ileo output decreased. The liquid has to go somewhere. Have you noticed any changes in urination? I agree with Ron's point, especially since you are just 10 days out of surgery. When your system settles down, in another month or so, you should start seeing more output as your appetite increases. Don't worry. Be happy.
PB

tudibird

Thanks for the feedback. Wish my ostomy nurse would "relax" a little more about my output. She keeps insisting I need more output. I'm going to go with what you two (Ron and PB) had to offer - I need to relax, at least I am having output, and as I eat more it should increase. @ PB - my urination has fluctuated. Some days it's low and then yesterday I was peeing like a bandit so I guess I haven't seen a correlation between the urination and stoma output. Again, thanks for the input. This site is fabulous and it's so nice to get answers to my zillion questions right now.

Xerxes

Listen, I have had my ileo for 34 years and I can say that there are many factors that contribute to your output. Right now it has to 'normalize' as you were so recently operated on. The most important thing is to keep up your fluid intake. Your ileum has to adapt to absorbing more water. If you don't keep up your fluid intake, you will run the risk of dehydration and kidney stone formation. That you want to avoid at all cost.

X_

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister