Food Allergy

In this discussion
Replies
Views
rosebud621

Does anyone with Crohn's also have food allergies like to wheat, dairy, or corn?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,099 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

I haven't formally tested myself for allergies, but I keep a food diary in case I notice a reaction to certain foods. I have no doubt that everyone, even those without Crohn's, have a sensitivity to something, even if it's too mild to notice through observation.

Why do you ask? Do you believe you have an allergy to a certain food?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Jazx

Wheat and Dairy play havoc on my system. I have not been formally tested but my doc says if it hurts, don't do (eat) that.

LilyJ
Yes! And it took years to figure it out. I am lactose-intolerant, sensitive to eggs, and allergic to peppers. My doc says it's the capsaicin in the peppers most likely. I break out in a rash head to toe when eating red pepper, green just makes me sick. Black pepper is a different family.

I also have a lot of nausea from eating certain meats. I've been told it's most likely the liquids used to inject the meat. And have trouble with a lot of meds, and the doc thinks it's the fillers used. So it appears that artificial ingredients, additives are a problem, but we will never figure it out. I try to purchase organic meats now, even though the cost is exorbitant.

Food allergy testing is, I am told, unreliable. Mine were more apparent after being on TPN for a good length of time, then gradually reintroducing foods. It took 50 years to find out eggs were a big culprit. And they were one of the things I ate a lot when I was flaring. (Slow learner here).

Hang in there. It takes a lot of time and self-observation to figure out.