Life After Reversal

Replies
Views
blindsided

I had my ileostomy reversal done on Dec. 2. My surgery for the ostomy was done as an emergency
on June 3 of this year. In March of this year, I had a heart attack. Been something of a tough year
but it has to get better. While in the hospital, they removed the two drains in the wound and said
they would start to remove staples later, after being home. I had, while in the hospital, severe
bouts of diarrhea but a day or so prior to leaving for home, it stopped. While home, the diarrhea was
not present but I actually had the good fortune to have a couple of days of relatively normal BM's.
Since then, it has been all downhill on a high-speed run. Lots of diarrhea and no regular BM's.

My diet, as per the surgeon, is anything I want. This seems strange to me, so I am careful about what
I am eating. Oatmeal, cream of wheat, soft scrambled eggs, toast and peanut butter, bananas,
apples (peeled), oranges, yogurt. An occasional piece of chocolate candy (is this bad), crackers, and a
little milk and a cup of coffee.

My gut is still swollen, distended on the right side. Normal at this point in time, I trust. My meds
are what I've taken for years. Lipitor, Pepcid, aspirin, not much else. Is there anything that anyone
can tell me to try, what they have done or used, results? I am starting to take about 3-4 Metamucil
Capsules a day along with 2-3 Gas X tablets a day. Are these ok?

Does anyone know of websites that have good information about life after a reversal, types of foods
to eat, diets they say work, at least most of the time? I am glad to have had the reversal done and
hope to get some part of my life back. I've kids and grandkids around the country and would like to travel next year and see them once again. Thanks for listening. Any information or advice will most
certainly be appreciated.
Thanks
Larry

Feff

Hi Larry, I'm due for my reversal takedown op on the 6th of January, so I've been asking the same questions and trying to do a bit of research myself. From the diet you describe, it sounds to me like you're eating too much fruit and fiber. Try cutting down on this and eat more bulky foods like mashed potato, pasta, and rice. Ripe bananas are good also. I realize it's a balance you have to make, having had a heart attack, but bulky foods aren't necessarily high in fat. I wish you luck and best wishes, and hope you and your family have a great Christmas and a happy, healthy new year. Jeff

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,370 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Feff

Hi Larry, I'm due for my reversal takedown op on the 6th of January, so I've been asking the same questions and trying to do a bit of research myself. From the diet you describe, it sounds to me like you're eating too much fruit and fiber. Try cutting down on this and eat more bulky foods like mashed potato, pasta, and rice. Ripe bananas are good also. I realize it's a balance you have to make, having had a heart attack, but bulky foods aren't necessarily high in fat. I wish you luck and best wishes, and hope you and your family have a great Christmas and a happy, healthy new year. Jeff

Primeboy

Over the six years when I had a reversal and for the remaining 4 years with an ostomy bag, I never worried about eating anything, even popcorn, nuts, or fruit. Everything passed through the stoma smoothly; with an ileostomy, I tend to fill up fast and shortly discharge everything. I may cut down occasionally on the cabbage or the raw vegetables, but only to reduce stomafarts. So, I consider myself one of the lucky ones who can eat what they want and still remain in good shape. I think it's best to experiment with everything in order to know how well you can tolerate things. Even though I can eat a lot, I can easily get satisfied with smaller portions which is essential for weight-watching. Good luck!

ladybrit

My end ileo surgery is due on 22nd January. Mine was also an emergency operation on 1st July due to a drop in B12 levels, I had lost huge amounts of weight, was vomiting badly, and had constant diarrhea. They only removed approx. 2" of bowel but it was distended badly with Crohn's disease. Since then, I have had one severe blockage which led to an encephalactic episode when I lost three days due to the incompetence of the surgical team in misdiagnosing the blockage as cleared, they put me back on bulky foods and hey presto I blocked up real bad, leading to a rush by blues and twos to a larger hospital, every test under the sun and I woke to find I had a catheter in the stoma drips and wires everywhere. 7 days later I was home, only to go back 3 days later with another blockage but this time it righted itself without intervention just fluids. I still get smaller blockages which I seem able to manage myself, liquid diet, exercises, massaging stomach etc. The surgeon wants to look at the remaining bowel to ensure that any adhesions or strictures are sorted out and then the takedown........ can't wait in one way though I dread the surgery, I hate hospitals

I agree that mashed potatoes, white pasta, white bread all those good things that they say are so bad for us will be a great help to you.... stay well, and enjoy your return to a more normal way of life!!

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister