Noisy Ileostomy - Tips for Sound-Proofing?

Replies
Views
Fay520

Just got my ileostomy yesterday. And oh my stars! It is noisy! I hate it! When air passes through it, it literally startles me because it's so loud! And it's so embarrassing! I don't see myself going out in public with this noisy thing... EVER! Does anyone have any tips/suggestions for sound-proofing???

LadyHope
Hi Fay520,

Welcome to MeetAnOstomate. I am one year post-op and the noise does quiet down after a while. If my stoma starts to make noise, I blame it on being hungry. At work, I tell my coworkers that my stomach is growling...when is lunch....it really sounds like a growling belly. I am much more aware of the noise than anyone else. My husband usually does not hear anything at all. Once in a while I will say to him....did you hear that quack and he usually says no...what are you talking about. It is funny. The only time I have high vocal moments is when I am absolutely starving and I gulp down my food. Within a few minutes, the orchestra begins...the popping, rumbling, growling, whistling...it is amusing. At that point, I place my hand over my stoma to muffle the sound. It lasts for a few minutes and then it is over until the next time I devour my meal in a feeding frenzy.
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,372 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Jabid
Hi LadyHope,

I just wanted to say thank you so much for making me laugh with your very funny reply. My stoma is a very quiet one, but it gets naughty at times and LOLs when it gets too excited. Otherwise, I just have to put my hand over it to keep others from hearing it whispering.

I wish you both the best of health...

Regards
Jabid
moonshine

What works for me is a diet of mostly protein. Limit any raw veggies as well... Think about how bread, pasta, and rice make a 'normal person' feel so bloated...

susanna

Your ileostomy will get quieter, I think. Mine has since I got it five months ago. It was noisiest for the first month and then has settled down and is pretty quiet most of the time. I bet yours will too. You can lightly rest your hand or arm over it so it will muffle the sound. I hope you will have a good recovery from your surgery.

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
texazgal

I haven't tried this, but a gal on another forum made a muffler for her noisemaker out of a foam ball. She bought a soft Nerf-type ball, tennis ball size, cut it in half and placed it over the stoma. Elastic underwear holds it in place and she swears it works. I do think yours will settle down later and as others have said, an arm or something will quieten it.

amaya1989

Hi. This is completely normal, please do not panic!!.

My stoma finally shut up after 1-2 months. Everyone will tell you they never shut up, this is due to swelling and your body coping with everything it has just been through.

Now my stoma does it deliberately, I swear in front of people, but I only ever hear her maybe once a week when she decides to embarrass me. But trust me, they get a lot quieter and eventually it won't even sound like a bag!

Please don't worry, this is normal. It will settle, I promise.

I've had my stoma for 1 year, previously to that I had a stoma for 6 months.

deb54

First, I cannot believe you just had an ileostomy and are already online....BRAVO! As for the noise, this is due to the recent surgery. I have had an ileostomy for 36 years, so I know what you mean. Your body has been through a lot and remember the small intestine is adjusting to its new role as both small intestine and colon. Trust me, it WILL get better as your body adapts.

I clearly remember the thing working constantly and the noise. I thought it would never stop and I didn't have a site to go to to ask questions back then.

All of the posts I see I got seem to be right on. Please don't get discouraged. You need to concentrate on resting and healing right now. Forget about the noise. One day you will realize it is hardly making any sound at all. Take care, Deb.