Choosing Surgery for Ulcerative Colitis: Permanent or Temporary Ileostomy?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Happy Cheeks

Hiya everyone. I am soon to have surgery for ulcerative colitis. I'm just very confused about which surgical option to choose.

- I can either choose to have a total colectomy with removal of rectum and anus and have a permanent bag.

- I can have a j-pouch formed and have a temporary ileostomy while it heals and then have it reconnected later on.

- Or if undecided, they said they can leave the rectal stump, remove the colon, and then decide a year down the line whether I want to keep the ileostomy permanently or have it reversed.

I would really like to have more children one day and have heard the j-pouch can cause infertility, so I'm not sure about that option.

I also worry about leaving the rectal stump in because I have active colitis there. Would that cause any problems?

Any advice would be great. Has anyone had a permanent ileostomy and managed to have children after? What's it like living with a bag day to day? :-) lol sorry for the essay, hope someone can help. Thanks x

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,102 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

aHappyGirl

For me - I would choose option "C." I have not heard good stories about the J-Pouch. If you'd like, I can get you my friend's number who got one.

I myself had a temp ostomy (left the rectal stump in place) and had it reversed. I eventually had to have it put back permanently (and rectal stump removed) but I don't regret having left my options open in the beginning.

Who knows, maybe your rectal stump could heal.

Good luck whichever you choose.

P

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
rolltide26

I would choose option "B". I am a 27-year-old female that just had my entire colon removed and a J pouch about 7 weeks ago. Mine is temporary. I am expected to only have it 3-4 months. I go back to my doctor in a couple of weeks hoping for a good report and to schedule a reversal surgery date.

I had to have my colon removed because of Ulcerative Colitis for 13 years. I was diagnosed at 13 and battled the horrible disease from what I can remember now my whole life. Every medicine and every kind of flare-I have had. I don't honestly recall a period of more than 6 months that I was healthy consecutively.

Anyways, I have "a bag" now. It is definitely a challenge every day. If you would have asked me a year ago, I would have thought death would have been a better option than having to go through this but it's not the end of the world. You can still have children with a J pouch too. If all possible, you don't want this permanently. I know that a lot of people have no option though and it is better than pain. On a positive note, I have had zero internal pain since I had my surgery. The only problems I am dealing with now are skin issues from my bag leaking. I have a very small stoma (inny) so it leaks a lot. But besides that, every day is a countdown and a blessing. Feel free to email me if you have any questions. I don't have the membership here to write back and forth.

Primeboy

Hi Happy Cheeks. Great name. Whatever you decide, keep in mind that the world of ostomy surgery and colitis treatments will probably make incredible advances in the next 5 or 10 years. You may not want to take any steps today that would exclude you from accessing these options tomorrow. Your surgeon seems to be encouraging this approach. Weigh your pros and cons, and be sure to get a second opinion from an expert, preferably a recognized teaching doctor at a research university. I know, it's easier said than done, sooooo. Good luck!

PB

Happy Cheeks

Aww, thank you so much for your replies. You've all been really helpful and it's nice to have different opinions.

It is a really tricky decision, but I think there are pros and cons for each surgery option. Just got to weigh them up.

The things that worry me about a J-pouch is that my surgeon said you'd have to still go to the toilet 6-8 times a day and twice in the night. Sounds silly but how I feel at the moment with colitis is that I never want to poo again. Lol sounds silly, but it's taken over. Another thing he mentioned was this pouchitis.

Please all keep in touch, I don't have the full membership so I can't start any private convos, but it would be nice to know how you get on with the J-pouch rolltide26.

You've all been brilliant and very helpful, I appreciate you spending your time writing back to me. :-) :-)

Big love xx :-)

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Zywie

I too love your name! But cannot advise you because I did not have an ileo or a decade or more of illness. I just wanted to let you know I love your name and think you are cute as a button. Whatever you choose, I pray your happy cheeks remain.

Snookis Mum

Hi Happy Cheeks.

I had UC for 12 years, with huge problems for the last 5 years - so much bleeding that I became anemic, explosive diarrhea in the middle of a store (that was the worst moment of my life - I just stood there and wept), pain, gas. Going to the bathroom in my office was a noisy nightmare. I couldn't go to the theater because I would not have time to get to the bathroom if I needed to, which I always did.

Three years ago, I had my colon and rectum removed. I was given the same choices as you, but the deciding factor was when the surgeon told me that if I had a J-pouch or a reversal, I would have diarrhea for the rest of my life.

My life with an ileostomy is almost normal. Yes, of course, there were problems at the beginning - and even now I have the occasional blockage or leak, but I have learned to control them. I eat almost everything I want (just chew it to death!). I can go to the gym, ride my bike, swim, go to a movie, and get on an airplane.

I wouldn't swap my ileo for anything.

Hope that helps, and good luck!

Sandi

vikinga

Hi HC,

I have an ileostomy because of emergency surgery in 2012. They think it was due to UC. I am not sure as that was the first time I had heard that.

I still have my rectal stump and prefer to keep it that way as long as I can. As Prime Boy mentioned, medical advances in the near future could give us other better, more viable choices. As long as it behaves itself, I will keep my stump for now. I can always have it out later.

Good luck with your decisions and don't feel pressured more than necessary. :)

Past Member

I was diagnosed with UC back in 1987. For 3 years, I was in and out of the hospital. Flare up, admit to hospital, rest bowel, IV for 10 days to 2 weeks, sent home with high dosage of Prednisone.

Repeat this hell for 3 years, perhaps overall, 20 visits and prednisone over and over again caused my hip replacement and my other hip to have troubles. A Vascular Necrosis, it is called, and arthritis throughout my body.

I had to have my large intestine, my colon, removed to avoid any further damages caused by the prednisone, which, of course, is necessary to control and help in the recovery of Ulcerative Colitis, so it was an "elective surgery". But I really had no other option, I had my colon removed, rectum reconstructed, and a temporary pouch for 3 months, while anal and rectal reconstructions healed.

By and large, I hate what I have had to live with since 1990. I was subsequently diagnosed with Crohn's Disease in 2006. Thereby, removing any doubt that I was misdiagnosed in 1987 and the surgery I had in 1990 was NOT the answer.

My life has been a prison sentence for all these years.

The pain and suffering is unreal.

So, I have given you an account of what I have had to live with, before and subsequent.

Either way, I have given you information.

Good luck with whichever decision you make.

Stephen Crean

Past Member

Dear Snookis.

I always have a third eye on looking for restrooms wherever I go.

It is clockwork for me.

I feel your pain regarding accidents in public places.

I haven't had one yet, thank God, but I have come close numerous times.

We all suffer invisible disabilities which are the worst kind, no one understands.

Our loved ones understand, our good friends understand, but the rest of the world doesn't understand the troubles and sufferings we endure on a daily basis.

Regards,

Stephen Crean

LilacFaerie

Hi Happy Cheeks

Love the name.

I have a permanent colostomy and have had a total proctocolectomy (sp??). That's everything out and my butt stitched up. It was the best thing that ever happened to me.

I had longstanding toxic megacolon and could only actually poop once every 40 days or so. However, I had the urge to poop almost constantly. I spent hours in the toilet straining and only succeeded in pooping blood and shooting hemorrhoids out of my butt. And the pain was indescribable! I've been doing this for 30 years thinking this was normal. OUCH.

Eventually I spent more time in the bathroom than anywhere else, I had anemia and was bleeding at least 2 cups of blood every time I strained to go to the toilet and was fainting and throwing up in the bathroom. I got totally phobic about pooping, bathrooms and anything to do with down there

I finally went to my doctor who sent me to a colorectal surgeon - the amazing Carina Chow. We have a shrine to her at my place! She took one look and had me in for surgery 4 days later. I got a temporary colostomy - Tomi.

However, because everything was still left inside me, I still had the urge to poop, and that meant I still had the same problems. The bowel produces mucus and it needs to be pooped out. So more blood, more shooting out the hemorrhoids. Increased phobia about pooping only now it's mucus we're phobic about.

I went back to my surgeon and told her I still had the pain - felt like a metal pole stuck up my butt - and I still had the same problems as before. She told me with the amount of fissures and hemorrhoids inside me it's a miracle I can poop at all. Well now, that explains it! No, the pain isn't classic hemorrhoid pain so let's have a feel around. OMG that was so painful and embarrassing. Turned out my coccyx was badly dislocated and she could actually move it in a figure of eight pattern just with the tip of her finger through my bottom. OUCH.

She decided to remove the coccyx, and everything from half of my descending colon down, all of my rectum and anus and stitch me up giving me a permanent colostomy

From the moment I got Tomi permanently my life and quality of life have improved dramatically. I am in heaven. I am no longer terrified of the bathroom, I have total control. I feel cleaner than ever before and I don't worry about pooping anymore. The bag takes care of it all.

I can strongly recommend a stoma for solving the kinds of issues you mention. A temporary ileo will rest your bowel and perhaps help the UC.

For a first step, I would opt for a temporary ileostomy. See how you go and then if the mucus issue is still causing problems maybe opt for a permanent after you've done a while with the temporary. Yes, it means 2 surgeries, and the associated risks, but if you aren't bothered by the mucus poops then you probably could get away with retaining the rectal stump. If however you find you are still having the bathroom issues then have the second surgery to remove everything.

I've got nothing but good things to say about having a stoma. But my circumstances are exactly that - mine. You are living a different life with different issues. Opting for a temporary gives you the chance to try it out, see how it works for you and if everything gets better opt for a reversal in a year or so, or choose to keep your stoma for life. Opting for temporary is the best of all worlds as it gives you options down the track. My option within 6 weeks of getting Tomi was to keep him forever, your option may be different.

Living with the bag is just marvelous. Obviously there are major differences between the ileostomy and a colostomy - most importantly with an ileostomy the output is more fluid than with a colostomy and so you use drainable bags and drain it away, whereas I use closed bags and just chuck them out when full - or full enough to annoy me anyway. And there are diet implications for ileostomates that there aren't for colostomates. But a chat with a stoma nurse can help with those.

I wouldn't go back to my pre-colostomy days even if you paid me a small fortune. I love my stoma, he's my life partner and he's a wonderful addition to my life - gurgles, farts, and noises at inopportune moments aside - Tomi is fantastic. I can highly recommend life with a stoma. You can do anything. In fact, I can do more with the stoma than I ever could without it. I'm not tied to a toilet and I can actually go out and enjoy myself. It's so much better than before.

Give one a go and see how it fits for you.

Good luck

Redondo

Hi

I had Crohn's. Initially, they left everything intact and put on an ileostomy to just give my bowels a rest. It worked for a couple of years. Then I became very ill again and the disease was throughout my whole large colon and rectal tract. So, I had everything removed and have had a permanent ileostomy for the last 40 years. I was in ICU for several weeks because this was a very large surgery to say the least; however, I have lived a life that I wouldn't have lived without one. It has just become part of my life and my routine. Yes, sometimes there are some leakage issues but I would rather have this than the alternative.

These days, the medical advances at doing this type of surgery have greatly improved and from what I understand do not need to make such large incisions anymore because of the laser technology they can use.

When they initially removed my rectum and colon, I had issues with fistulas where the rectum was for approximately 5 years until everything healed.

I have been great ever since. Living with an ostomy has not been nearly as bad as the pain, suffering, and living in the hospital that I had with the illness.

Another friend of mine had the J-Pouch and she regrets that she had it done because it used up too much colon. But her problem was Crohn's and not Colitis. So, I don't know if this will be the same situation with you.

You might want to put off removing the rectum if the rectal area is not too diseased and not causing issues. One man that had this done had some bladder issues after the rectum and rectal stump was removed.

Sorry if this is confusing for you. But, you need to consider all of the alternatives and make sure that you have the right doctor and seek out several doctor opinions. Ask a lot of questions and ask specifically how they will perform the surgery. Also ask for a WOCN (Wound Ostomy Care Nurse) to consult with prior to the surgery so that she can mark on you exactly where your stoma should be placed by the surgeon.

I hope this helps.

Best of luck and blessings to you.

Whitey

Hi Happy Cheeks,

Here's a vote for the J-Pouch. I've had mine for 5 years this month. The early days were a bit tricky but by being careful then (by not blatantly abusing my pouch, like some recipients seem to do) now I can eat pretty much what I like. Most days I can get away with 5 or 6 bathroom visits. Urgency is a non-issue. There'll be an urge, but I never need to go now, like I did with the UC.

Through subtle tuning of my diet I can all but eliminate the runs and so look after the inside of my other cheeks ;-) ;If I go on a binge, of course, then things can quickly get messy when the system is overloaded.

As others have introduced: the medium- to long-term performance of the pouch will, alas, in my experience, come down to luck (i.e. the skill of the surgeon on the day and your particular circumstances). Post (successful) surgery, things will then depend, I think, 99% on your attitude and patience - particularly for the first 12 months.

The freedom the pouch has given me, compared with the UC (and also, with regard to outdoor activity, the bag) really can't be overstated.

Anyway, good luck!

Tim.

livinnandlearnin

I had a complete colectomy with ileostomy in 2010. I have severe and atypical Crohn's disease, so this was not a cure for me and we knew it would be permanent. My surgeon, who is a very specialized GI surgeon, told me that they usually leave the rectal stump because to remove it complicates the surgery as it requires opening up the pelvis as well as operating from "the rear". So I had a rectal stump, also called a Hartman's Pouch, up until a couple of months ago. For me, the rectal stump was a disaster. First of all, no one told me that because your rectum is a mucous membrane, even though you are no longer "connected", your rectum still produces some "stuff" that then comes out on a regular and uncontrollable basis, usually at night in my sleep. I can't believe no one ever mentioned this to me. The first time it happened, I was so confused and startled!!! Then a fistula formed from my rectum to my vagina. My rectum was badly diseased at that point and bled frequently. They tried everything they could to get it to heal, but it just wouldn't. It was like having my period every day... For two years... and it was painful too. Finally, this past March, I had the rectal stump removed. It was major surgery and it obviously required opening up my abdomen/pelvis yet again. All I can say is that if I had known any of this back at the time of my original surgery, I would have had my rectum removed. Remember that for someone with ulcerative colitis, removing the colon is a cure. I have had around 8 surgeries in the past 4 years. Each surgery has further weakened and deconditioned me. I don't know what it is like to live with a J-pouch, but the ileostomy pouch isn't that bad. I had a little bit of time after my ileostomy when I felt pretty good and managed to get my life back. I started dating again, going to work, etc. No one ever knew I had it unless I chose to tell them. Every now and then I have some mishap with it, but it's certainly no worse than the issues you can have from your disease. I admit though, due to being fairly disabled from Crohn's, there are things I have yet to attempt with it. I went swimming once and clearly I chose the wrong bathing suit. I haven't really traveled either. Other than that, it's not that big a deal. I thought it would be much worse as I'm sure you do. Good luck and feel free to ask me anything! I promise I'll give you a straight answer.

livinnandlearnin

Sandi--I was just wondering if you have any tips for swimming with an ileostomy. I tried it once and I clearly need a different kind of bathing suit. My pouch sits kind of high (I'm high-waisted) so I can't wear a two-piece. I tried a tankini which actually covered me completely. The top kept floating up and showing my pouch. I guess I need a one-piece. Any tips on keeping it from showing? How to keep the pouch secure? Etc.

MissMeganM

Living and learning, I have some advice for you on the bathing suit. I have an ileo and I like the beach and swimming too, but had the same problem with two-piece suits. Plus, I have some bad scars I don't want to be stared at for by strangers, lol. Anyway, I went online and found a website that offered bikini bottoms for ostomates - it's Ostomy Secrets - it is a high-waisted bikini bottom that looks really cool and retro 40's style. They only have black, which is no big deal because you can buy a cheap top at Walmart or wherever like I did to match. It even has a pocket you tuck the pouch in so it doesn't float around like some kind of weird sea creature, lol. No one can tell you have a pouch with this suit bottom. I love mine! I highly recommend the swim bottom to the ladies; definitely worth the investment :-)

Beth20

There are other options besides the J pouch or the Brooks ileostomy. I have the Kock pouch. I got the surgery done at Cleveland Clinic. It's so much nicer than having to wear the outside bag. You just use a catheter to empty your inside pouch. I lost my colon to UC 3 years ago. I had the Brooks ileo and just hated it. So in February of this year, I had this done, and I am doing really well with it. Do lots of research and talk to as many people as you can about the pros and cons. Wishing you all the best...

Past Member

I have a Kock Pouch (K pouch) for a couple of years now. The only problem I've had is that the doctor is an hour away. I try to find someone to drive me as I don't like driving to the area of his office. Too much traffic and confusing (to me) roads.

There are not many doctors that do this surgery so you may want to take that into consideration. I've even had to explain the K pouch to one doctor. But I did have the outside bags for a time and I did not like it at all so I found more options. One of which was the K pouch. I'd rather have the K pouch as to the bag anyday. You still have hassles no matter what. It all depends on what you're willing to deal with.

Good luck with your decision.

Happy Cheeks

Hiya everyone, you are all amazing. You are all so positive with what you've all been through and that gives me hope.

It's nice to hear all your stories, and is helping me weigh things up. I'm hopefully having the surgery in a couple weeks, so still have time to make a decision. I guess you never know if it's the right one until afterwards.

Thank you all so much for your responses, really appreciate the help and support.

Please keep your advice coming, it's all really helpful.

Lots of love Happy Cheeks :-) ;xx

beatrice

Hi Happy Cheeks!

I suffered (and boy is that the right word!) from UC for over 30 years. I had an ileo -- rectal stump left. It was emergency surgery, and I'm thinking that the surgeons wanted to leave me options.

But that didn't work out... I still had very active UC in my rectal stump. No stool, of course, but mucus, bleeding, and pain. I still had to wear a pad. It felt as though I hadn't moved too far from my initial problem.

For me, the pouch wasn't an option as it just didn't give me near the 'guaranteed results' I wanted (ok, nothing is guaranteed, but you know what I mean... virtually uncontrolled bms... some pain... hey -- had that with UC!)

Well past child-bearing years ;-) ... so I decided to have the stump removed. NOW I can say that I have a life that is not centered around my bodily functions.

I like what Primeboy says though... options will come along in the future. Although I personally think that advances will be slow in this medical arena as it is just not as sexy/in the forefront as some others.

Am I glad I went this route (finally a total)? You bet.

Wishing you all the best.

beatrice

Me again. Forgot to add ... Is there a possibility that your surgeon (colo-rectal specialist I'm hoping) can do your surgery laparoscopically? I had mine done that way. Much less trauma/scarring. That in itself (I'm just thinking/pondering out loud here) could make a difference in carrying a pregnancy?

Scar tissue can be obtrusive. Worth asking.

Happy Cheeks

Hiya guys and gals,

Just had another question, what's it like having your anus sewn shut? Can you still sit down? Are there any complications with that part?

I'm leaning towards the full colectomy with rectum and anus removal. I know it means a permanent bag, but I worry about a leaky rectal stump. And the jpouch seems like there are too many failures and a lot of pooping still.

Any info would be great. Lots of love xx

Zywie

Hi Happy Cheeks,

For me, it's been a pain in the butt (pardon the obvious joke). But mine wasn't sewn shut. I don't know how to explain it any better than it was melded shut. My surgery was done by a robot, and I imagine the robot laser-beaming my butt together (like the lasers in James Bond movies). Anyway, it came apart almost immediately after the surgery and has not closed up yet. There were no stitches or staples or glue. It still hurts, there is still all kinds of gooey stuff and traces of blood leaking. My bum gets raw from whatever that is leaking out. Some days I can sit on it, and it's not too bad, others it feels like someone has shoved a limb of a tree up there. I'm seeing a surgeon in a few weeks to see about having it closed up with a skin graft from another part of my body. Oh, it's been 10 months since my surgery.

A couple of friends of mine said they were stitched shut, and it only took about a month to heal. But even so, they advised it will take a few years before it feels normal again and I won't have any pains at all.

Z

This is an afterthought which I know does not pertain to you, but it may pertain to others on the site. I did have chemo/radiation treatments 3 years ago, which could be the reason I am having such a problem with it healing. My friend had the same thing done, but they didn't do the chemo/rad until after the surgery, and he was healed by the end of the month.

Good luck and fast recovery with everything!!!!!!!

beatrice

Hi Happy Cheeks,

I had my "Barbie Butt" operation 2 years after my ileostomy.

The specialist did it laparoscopically and I have had absolutely no problems. For the first week, I was careful where I sat ... but after that, no problems - nothing hurts, leaks or is otherwise bothersome!

bigal1579

I had UC my whole life, but it was always under control. However, the inflammation led to colon cancer 5 years ago. It was caught early, so I am totally fine.

I have a permanent ileostomy, with removal of my rectum and anus sewn shut. It sounds terrible, but once you get used to it, it is actually the most carefree solution. J pouch is far from perfected, so it can have problems. Having a pouch makes virtually no difference in my life, except that I worry about it showing (not really that big of an issue) and I now can eat virtually anything, whereas before I worried about some foods giving me diarrhea. There are some minor challenges that you work out over time, but there is really nothing that I can no longer do. I play golf, tennis, jog, travel. I don't think you need to worry about infertility, and if you have more kids, you should have no trouble keeping up with them.

The anal wound was an issue because it took a long time to heal, and by long time I mean years, because the skin needs to build up. It was uncomfortable at times, but if you pack it very tightly with gauze, it is not that bad and it does eventually heal.

I was 60 when I had my surgery, and I wondered if a permanent ileostomy was kind of "giving up". However, my surgeon, who was wonderful, said he felt just the opposite, that a permanent ileostomy was more of a guarantee of being able to live life to its fullest, and I agree.

The point about keeping your options open in case of technological advances is reasonable, but I think I would still opt for the permanent ileo, for 3 reasons:

1) UC is a disease - a total colectomy removes the disease, while anything else leaves some disease in your body, which can cause later problems.

2) A pouch is not a big deal once you get used to it, and technology will probably also improve pouches. You are in control of when you empty it, and unless you push it, there will never be a need again to rush to the bathroom.

3) A permanent ileo means one surgery - I think other options mean at least one more surgery, and maybe more.

LilacFaerie

The anal surgery was wonderful for me. It got rid of years of pain.

But things to remember:

When it is stitched up, it leaves a ridge of stitched skin which can feel like your vaginal area. Bit of a problem for me, but not for many other people. It just means you need to clean it carefully post-op. Use fabric, not toilet paper or tissues, to clean it to ensure nothing gets left behind. A washcloth is a good solution.

After a few years, the ridge will smooth out as part of the healing process. It's much less prominent now 3 yrs post-op than it was immediately after the operation.

Remember, if they remove everything, you'll be left with a space and stitches internally. Over time, this will fill up and heal, but in the beginning, you can feel unsupported down there. Be careful what you sit on. Don't use the donut cushion because it spreads everything and that can put stress on the stitches.

Sitting can be painful at first, but you'd be surprised how much you can do laying on your side. I run an entire jewelry business, creating jewelry, working on a computer, packaging everything laying on my side on the sofa. But then I had a coccygectomy at the same time as my Barbie butt operation and have a huge chunk of spine missing. Fun fun.

Wear fully supportive underpants. Ones that cover your entire butt. Don't use thongs, g-strings, or v-strings. They put pressure on your stitches and can actually open them up by the sawing motion they make as you move. You don't need the huge granny knickers, but ones with full coverage of your butt are the go. I use bikini pants and they are fine. Small, delicate, and fashionable, but cover everything properly. Support is important in the early days.

If you are having or worried about having leakage from the wound, sanitary items or panty lines add a layer of protection that is very helpful.

And if you worry about cleaning and drying your wound and keeping it in tip-top condition post-operative, get yourself a bidet seat for your toilet. It takes the place of your normal toilet seat, but it can wash and dry down below gently without you having to rub the area. I have one and it's the best thing ever. It kept everything clean and dry after my operation and is just perfect. No pressure, no rubbing, no sores, and it avoided me touching or stretching the stitched area. I can highly recommend a bidet or bidet seat for any ostomate because of the added hygiene and the removal of pressure and rubbing from our delicate bits.

Hope that helps.

Past Member

Hi happy cheeks

I would go for ileostomy and leave your stump in place so you have the choice once you've recovered for J pouch or to keep the bag. I had an ileostomy formed in December having a bag was the worst thing I could imagine but in the end I had no choice and it saved my life. It took a while to come to terms with but you have to accept it and get on with life, I'm back at work now 12 hours days on a building site and just started cycling working out again. It doesn't stop me from doing anything. I wear the bag sideways so it doesn't get in the way and under a support belt or underwear. Haven't decided about J pouch yet but probably won't have it done until they come up with a better operation with a better outcome but if you leave your stump if they can you will have that choice.

LadyHope

Hi everyone, these posts are great. I wanted to briefly comment on bathing suits and how to keep the pouch snug to your body. I was told by one of the medical device manufacturers, when wearing a bathing suit, use a closed-end pouch even if you have an ileostomy. I gave it a try last summer and I could not see the pouch through my bathing suit because there was no roll-up/velcro/tail. When the pouch filled, I took it off and replaced it with either another closed-end or my usual open-end. In addition, I tried a slightly smaller pouch too that was drainable. I also wear dark bathing suits rather than light-colored ones so the outline of the pouch is really not noticeable. I wear mostly tankinis with high-waisted bottoms. Another thing I do is cut the wafer so it sits a little lower. Regarding the pouch snug to your body, I wear support underwear/shapers. You can buy them anywhere...Target, Walmart, Kmart...etc. A fellow ostomate suggested this to me and I have been doing it ever since. I did try Ostomy Secrets and their product is very nice but I really like seeing the product before purchasing it. It is just my thing. Hope this helps. Have a great weekend. LH

Funnyguy

Hi Happycheeks, my advice to you would be to ask the surgeon to try and keep as many options open to you as possible. Ask the surgeon if when you have surgery they can keep the option of a reversal later on by keeping the rectal stump in place at the first surgery. If you decide to have a reversal later on and it proves unsuccessful, you can always revert back to the ileostomy. This is something you cannot do if you reduce your options in the first place. Also, you may ask the surgeon if you might be able to delay certain operations, like reversals, until maybe you have had more children.

I am not medically qualified to give an accurate answer so in my experience, especially with my own treatment, each decision about surgery has to be decided on its own merit, based on how you respond to your own situation.

Try to keep as many options open as possible and discuss all of them with your surgeon first,

All the best

Funnyguy

Funnyguy

Hi Tim, I read your vote on J pouches with some interest. I was diagnosed in 2010 with UC and also have to make decisions about surgery reversal. Tim, I am interested to know your experiences of the pouch. Do you ever have any nighttime bathroom visits, or have you managed to get the frequency down to just the daytime?

Also, have you found that it has interfered with your daily working life, or maybe like many of us you have looked into working from home?

I have read both good and bad stories concerning pouches, what would be your overall advice? Is it down to luck, or skill on your part as somebody obviously in control? I hope things stay good for you, at the moment I am not sure for myself.

Take care, and hope you can reply.

Thanks very much.

Funnyguy.