Excessive Gas and Belching in Ostomy Bag - Need Advice

Replies
Views
teter

I am experiencing large gas buildups in my bag along with large mouth belches.

This is new to me after 8 years running fine.

I have been eating lettuce salads and celery. Is this the cause? Other than that, I am on the same old food following the diet rules.

Anyone have an opinion or suggestion?

Thank you.

mild_mannered_super_hero

Did you try one of the anti-gas products right before you eat? I use the generic "Gas-X" right before I eat or go someplace public. I have found that a reduction in fiber helps reduce gas. Things might be different for you. Try a low-fiber diet, also avoiding cereals and grains for a week... There will be very little gas.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,370 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Pinky

Hi Teter - I agree with all MMSH said - also "Beano" works really well beforehand. I might mention celery is usually not a good food for ostomates as the stringy fibers can cause a blockage, especially in ileostomies. That could account for your oral belching (often a sign of partial intestinal blockage). I also find iceberg lettuce to be the easiest digested since it's mostly water. Otherwise, I eat a lot of vegetables, fruits, and grain fiber with no ill results. Eggs are what do me in! Pinky :)

seasport

I have the same problem with gas. My bag gets so inflated I am almost afraid it will pop. Today I tried Beano for the first time so I hope it works. Will keep anyone posted who might be interested. Have a great day.

Immarsh

Hi,

Last year I began having issues of gas buildup in the bag....sometimes so bad that I could barely get through an hour without needing to find a restroom to let it out. For the first time in nearly 50 years, my ostomy was really affecting my day-to-day life in a negative way.

It was at the same time that I was visiting my son and his family in Australia, and they encouraged me to change some of my dietary habits. Jay has Ulcerative Colitis, and hadn't had milk products in years, and Angela had 2 serious bouts of MS put the entire family on a vegetarian, and then a vegan diet.

When I cut most dairy products out of my diet, I found most of the gas issues went away. There is a definite food/diet connection with digestion, and now that I'm in my 60's I find I can't eat many of the foods that were never a problem years ago. Angela (a PhD/psychologist) has done extensive research on autoimmune conditions (of which Crohn's and UC are two) and has found that many foods cause inflammation. We don't always make the connection. If you're interested, go to

Cookingformyspirit.com.au, to check out her articles, website, and recipes. It's a whole new way of looking at wellness.

Best of luck.

Marsha

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
travel

For the past 2 days, I have had abdominal pain, gas in my back, and loose bowels... wonder why