Managing Medications Post-Reversal: Driving Safety and Diet Tips?

Replies
Views
GreyBeard57

Had colon and gallbladder removed March 25th, 2014. Nervous like so many others about life after reversal. My surgeon tells me that I can "manage" bowel movements with an anti-diarrheal med. He says I will be on this for the rest of life as well as the sulfasalazine I'm taking now to prevent recurrence of the ulcerative ileo-colitis that afflicted me. I drive a truck for a living, so the bag actually isn't too bad convenience-wise. No urgent need to get to a rest area. I was wondering about the anti-diarrheal meds and if they restrict ability to safely drive. Still learning about diet. Should I give up coffee altogether? Can one control bowel movements without meds? Thanks mates!

Past Member

Hi.

The anti-diarrheal meds seem to work for me, and I control my diet fairly well with the times and things I eat. I do a lot of driving too. It's worked for me so far.

Sam

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,370 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Snookis Mum

Why are you even considering reversal? I was told that I would have five or more loose bowel movements per day for the rest of my life, and would have to watch what I eat forever. I am so much happier with the safety of the pouch. There will always be a risk that you will have diarrhea while you are driving your truck, and the anti-diarrhea meds don't always work at all.

You don't have to give up coffee at all (unless you have a problem I don't know about), and after a while you will find that you can eat most foods without a problem. Just add foods one by one to your diet, and see what agrees with you. And be sure to chew everything to death and drink lots of water. That's very important.

Good luck!

Sandi

GreyBeard57

Hey there Snooki's mom, I guess I'm considering it because of some unknown source of pressure to do it. I haven't researched the whole subject that much yet, but the more I do, the more I am leaning towards not having the reversal. I have been trying to find info on the anti-diarrheal meds the Dr. says I'll be on for life but can't seem to find much. My concern is the drowsy effect of the drug which obviously doesn't mix well with truck driving. It may even disqualify me from driving. The final clearance to go back to work comes from the Risk Managers associated with the company. So even if there were absolutely no complications, I might be out of a job. I'm sure everyone has their bad days with the pouch, but I'm finding it might be a whole lot easier to live and work with than having to run to the nearest restroom at a moment's notice.

I've noticed a lot of online medical sites say the reversal is a relatively minor procedure. I think that is untrue. The doctor says he will have to open me up like before, then has to make the pouch, then attach it, close the ostomy hole, then close the incision. That's four areas that have to heal up again. Then I'll be on the Imodium and the sulfazine (to prevent recurrence of colitis). So yeah, I am not just raring to go for reversal.

Take care,

GreyBeard

Primeboy

Hi Greybeard. For 10 years, I have been taking large doses of Imodium, Lomotil, or Opium Tincture mostly at different times, and nothing has ever interfered with my driving safely or conducting myself professionally in various employment venues. While none of these narcotics has had any impact on my style, I would still never encourage anyone to load up and wolf down all they can. Just the opposite. Get your hands on some of this medication and experiment with small amounts. Find out what works for you. Good luck!

PB

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
GreyBeard57

Hey Primeboy. Do you drive a big rig for Prime? Just curious. I've decided not to do reversal. I guess I can change my mind later, but I highly doubt I will. I just don't like the idea of taking meds for the rest of my life. I feel this is the easier way to deal with things now. I'm usually quite proficient in changing the ring and bag, plus, I don't have to worry about the urgency.

Take care PB,

Greybeard

Primeboy

No, I don't drive a big rig, Grey, just a small golf cart once a week. It looks like you're in a good place now and that surgery is unnecessary. On a related note, anti-diarrheal meds will definitely reduce the number of times you have to empty your bag; but, simultaneously and more importantly, they will reduce your chances of becoming dehydrated. Good luck with your employment situation and stay safe on the highways.

PB

mooza

Prime, I'm in the chat room. Have I missed y'all? We are at daylight saving and I nearly forgot to pop in, but it seems like a no show here. Well, John, chat soon I hope. Mooza.

Primeboy

Hi Mare. Sorry we missed you. Zep is under the weather but sends his best.

PB