Opinions on New Coloplast MIO Wafer & Pouches?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Penguins7

I was wondering if anyone has tried the new Coloplast MIO wafer and pouches yet? Well, I have tried the 2-piece system and here is my opinion: The wafers are awesome, but I find the new pouches are not. The pouches create a lot more pancaking due to the stupid vent design. It has a barrier material around the vent which seems to collect the output and create pancaking. Plus, the MIO pouch does not come without the vent. The vent is located where it obstructs my stoma guard. The new wafer is not compatible with the old pouches either. What a disappointment as the pouch material and wafer material are so comfortable. Anyway, interested in hearing some feedback. Penguins7

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,099 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

I did a full review of the new Mio one-piece on my blog, but I also found the filter to be a pain in the ass (no pun intended). It's big, creates bulk, was ineffective and reduced the pouch capacity.

I did like the pouch material (nothing dries faster!) and the extra features like the peekaboo window, Velcro placements, etc.

The real problem for me with the Mio's is that they erode and leak faster than other products I've used. I have a box of two-piece Mio's sitting in my bedroom, but I'm hesitant to try those, since there's very little difference between those and the one-piece Mio's. I may try using an adhesive spray and I'll likely cut out the inside filter component (makes things way more comfortable).

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
ron in mich

Hi penguins, I tried the two-piece for my ileo. And I liked the low profile of the wafer, but that was about all. I liked the pouch opening was hard to clean out and the wafer lasted two days and left my skin raw.

Penguins7

Yes, I agree. Coloplast must not have done many trials before bringing to market. The wear time was bad for me too. I really like the pouch material and the fact that the pouch is a little shorter on the MIO. But that was about it for me. Penguins7

scotiaman

Hi there...interesting comments. I have used the Coloplastv2 piece system for 5 years due to my ileostomy...generally I got 7 days out of a change up and rarely had any leakage..my biggest complaint was the ineffectiveness of the filter, so I would be running off to the john 10 to 12 times over 24 hrs. For the past several days I used the Milo system, and I am delighted with the new gas filtration as it has reduced my trips to the bathroom by 40%. Essentially the necessity to eliminate because of gas has been eliminated. The bag thus lies flatter and holds more material. As for the base plate...an improved adhesive..but I will always apply stick paste and apply a spray-on skin protector. My 2 complaints are that the bottom Velcro tag that is supposed to hold the mouth of the bag when rolled up easily becomes unglued and useless, and the bonding of the grey skin to the other pouch components rips easily at the seam at the mouth of the bag. I tape it on both sides. Personally, I think they have made definite progress...but improvements are always possible.

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
scotiaman

Hi there...interesting comments. I have used the Coloplastv2 piece system for 5 years due to my ileostomy...generally I got 7 days out of a change up and rarely had any leakage..my biggest complaint was the ineffectiveness of the filter, so I would be running off to the john 10 to 12 times over 24 hrs. For the past several days I used the Milo system, and I am delighted with the new gas filtration as it has reduced my trips to the bathroom by 40%. Essentially the necessity to eliminate because of gas has been eliminated. The bag thus lies flatter and holds more material. As for the base plate...an improved adhesive..but I will always apply stick paste and apply a spray-on skin protector. My 2 complaints are that the bottom Velcro tag that is supposed to hold the mouth of the bag when rolled up easily becomes unglued and useless, and the bonding of the grey skin to the other pouch components rips easily at the seam at the mouth of the bag. I tape it on both sides. Personally, I think they have made definite progress...but improvements are always possible.

Past Member

Hey Scotiaman, what kind of consistency is your output? I found the mio filters became very saturated, even with thick ileo output, and they often failed in under 24h. Because of that, they'd balloon and that would create a leak.

Right now, only the Hollister New Image filters are effective for me - very effective, actually. No ballooning at night and much better wear (reduced wafer erosion).

scotiaman

Hi Vagan...sorry didn't get back to you.. That said, my output is generally 60 to 70 percent liquid 80 percent of the time... If I am on the "meat and potatoes" diet, output gets quite thick, but having experienced a few too many blockages in the past, I keep well hydrated and prefer easily digestible food... Haven't had blockages in 2 years... I do have to be mindful of my electrolytes, especially when it's hot/humid. In this business though, you simply go with what works... And experimenting is usually the way to go... Thankfully, ostomy suppliers often will let us do that on their nickel.. All the best

Past Member

No worries! I'm always interested in knowing the experiences for other ostomates, especially when it comes to how products work (or don't work) for them.

Mrs.A

Hi,

Tonight I just put on the new Mio two-piece system. Although the inside is rather bulky and I am not happy about the clear part of the pouch where we empty, I will surely be giving it a try to see if it is any better for pancaking. I have a colostomy and my output consistency changes with the wind depending on what I have eaten. I do like the peek-a-boo window at the top where you can have a look-see at your stoma, as well as check on the pancaking.

I did, however, find it difficult to snap onto the flange. I always try the connection before I put it on because I have gotten samples that didn't work together. Everything seemed easy enough before I put the flange on, but man, I was almost ready to give up when it finally clicked!

Got my fingers crossed for good results, and will repost as soon as I've used both of the samples they sent.

JCSunshine

Hi. I, too, have tried the Mio and boy did I want it to work well for me! The material is great and it feels a whole lot lighter, a lot less profile. I tried the two-piece (still having a hard time understanding why one would prefer a one-piece .. but anyway). The two-piece started to come apart on me, you could see where stool was getting between the parts pretty easily. I was surprised the seal was not better. Also, the filter simply wasn't the scientific breakthrough I was hoping for with an ileo.

They do get lots of credit for trying out some new things and I really respect Coloplast for it!

Mrs.A

Hi JC,

I did a blog on the MIO. It is great that Coloplast keeps trying, and I too wished it was the best thing for pancaking, but I just didn't like it as a total package. I sometimes wonder why we can't have them made to order. It would just be so much easier for us as individuals as we are. I haven't found anything I like better than the Coloplast two-piece system. I love the Velcro closure right off the bat. The "skin tone" at the tail end is also something I like, and it's sturdy whereas others are not so much.

Today I am trying the Sure Seal ring, and I would love it if it is all that it is said to be. I don't know if I'll blog about it, but I will surely have an opinion.

Hope all is going well with you.