Traveling with a Colostomy: Need advice on large bags for long flights

Replies
Views
Rook

Hello,

I am new here and was wondering about flying. I am a paraplegic and have a colostomy. I have traveled before and every time I have this huge fear of my bag filling up and popping open in flight. I have checked with the airlines and they say unless they have so many passengers they do not need to have an aisle chair on board and I am unable to get to the bathroom and even if I could it is so small they cannot fit an aisle chair into the bathroom. It is so small I do not think I could hop off the chair, get in and change a full bag. I was hopeful of Hollister carrying a large travel bag but they do not. Does anyone have any ideas on my travel dilemma? I have an opportunity for a promotion but it means long flights. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

lorraine-cooper1960

I have no function from the waist, so I have a catheter and ileostomy. I fly regularly and show check-in service desk and explain my need to change my bag, etc., in flight. I find preparation is the go. They always, whenever possible, upgrade me! They don't people around you complaining, and I take my precut wafers (don't put scissors in your hand luggage). I have "blueies" which you probably know have a plastic back (blue hence the name) and have white padding placed on my lap. I place it close under the flange of my stoma. I try to have everything prepared, including putting na scent drops in my bag before I change and put Huggies wipes around the perimeter of my flange to catch any ooze, and have my waste disposal bag ready plus about 6 wipes. I can, in less than 60 seconds, whip off the used bag, wipe the offending area, and spray with Cavillon Plus. I put my new bag on in one foul swoop! Then I quickly stuff everything in the waste bag, pull down my top, and fold up my blueie, which doesn't get dirty because of the Huggies. It's just a case of quickly putting everything away and sanitizing my hands. The air stewards will discreetly dispose of your waste, just remind them to put on gloves!

Done! I also use the side of the blueie to fold over the area like a privacy screen so no one can see, and the na scent works for odor 3-6 drops depending on your bag size. I use Hollister closed opaque midi bags. Just remember to only take a travel-size na scent or Cavillon if you use them on the plane and fill from your main bag in your checked luggage as you need it. Etiquette obviously dictates keep it discrete, for your dignity as well as others, and don't do it during meals! LOL.

Catheters are a different subject, but if you have one and need help, contact me.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,366 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

PatinPickering

Hi Rook. You got some excellent insight from Lorraine. I can't add anything other than my surgery was over 20 years ago and when I returned to work I had a fair amount of work-related travel. The only issue which I came across related to the airplane not having washroom facilities at all. My pouch was full at the end of the short flight and, when we landed, the other patrons in the men's room were quite entertained by my visit.

Every one of us goes through the virtual panic which consumes the people with new ostomies. Here's a good piece of advice which I gathered from the Ostomy Ass'n newsletter: don't let your stoma define you as a person. Undoubtedly, you'll have bad days but with a little planning, you can minimize the effects (perhaps you'll laugh at yourself afterwards).

Past Member

Hi. If you are able to do what they call irrigate, that would take care of your problem for sure. I started doing it a couple of months ago and it is awesome. No more changing or emptying bags for 24 to 48 hours.

LilacFaerie

Hi.

I have a colostomy. I recently took my first flights post-colostomy. I flew from Australia to Zurich, Switzerland, return. I read a lot prior to flying about air pressure making the pouches fill with air, difficulties in changing pouches, etc. I had no problems at all. I used a middle-sized pouch - the Coloplast Midis - and changed with no problem. The pouches didn't fill with air, they didn't open unexpectedly mid-flight, or cause any problems at all. I had to fly for over 24 hours each way and my colostomy was great.

I did go for an aisle seat so that I could get up and move around as necessary and make the toilet run when needed, but I found I was using the toilet more for peace of mind than due to output.

I flew alone and carried a pile of extra pouches in my bag, as well as in my carry-on luggage. I was going on holiday for 26 days and carried all my pouches in my carry-on bag. This caused some hilarity at Security in Singapore as they couldn't work out what I had in the bag, but that was just funny. Seeing my bag go through then reverse and go through again a couple of times was just too funny.

Don't let the stoma stop you from doing what you want. If you want to fly, go for it. I bit the bullet and flew for 24 hours with no issues. Flying for a few hours shouldn't be a problem.

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Past Member

Thank you for the post. I am planning a trip to France soon and had just about let the anxiety over the trip cause me to cancel. You have given me hope that it will be okay.

LilacFaerie

Don't let it stress you. I had no problems. I carried way too many supplies with me and had about 7.5 kilos of medical equipment in my luggage. I barely needed any of it.

The best things to take with you are your pouches/appliances (about double your usual needs), some wipes (not too many - I had 5 boxes of 30 for 26 days. I used about 30), scented nappy bags (1 for each appliance/pouch and a few left over), and some StomaHesive powder for your skin. That's all I used. Ah but what did I carry - 280 pouches, 300 nappy bags, 270 wipes, 2 bottles stomahesive powder, nbsp;skin care nbsplotions, 3 bottles of airfreshener, powders, tapes, creams OH MY I had everything. And I left most of it in the suitcase and didn't use it. I had been told to carry for 3 times my month's supply. Holey Dooley! Next time I won't bother with most of it.

The first time travelling is scary but once you've done it you won't look back. I'd fly back to Europe in a heartbeat. It was so much fun.

If you have any questions just ask me. Happy to help.