Having Colostomy Reversal - Thursday, October 2, 2014

Replies
Views
SigmoidFreud

Almost 4 years to the day when my colon perforated from diverticulitis, walked into a E.R. and had emergency surgery within 5 hours. It was a Sunday around midnight when they began. Honestly I did not think I was going to make it. Thereafter, I never really thought I would have it reversed; and frankly, I am used to having it and managed it well. As I have said everything [and I mean everything] is about your attitude. Everyone has or will have some challenge, some medical issue to confront. It was the colostomy that saved my life. In certain other countries this would not be possible; people would not survive.

Since we take things for granted a lot I have been in the gym more, played more tennis and got stronger than ever imagined. WHy. Because it was a challenge to do so with a bag. I also got married 3 years ago. Now my wife in May, at age 56, was diagnosed with breast cancer. Perfect health; routine mammogram. Such is life! Yet she is urging me to have this reversal, and will take care of me before starting her radiation. See there is love after colon surgery. Just have to find a good mate. A little bit of luck and a little bit of opening your mind to who might be a better partner than you might have thought in the past.

Honestly I had to think about having a reversal at this age. If I did not have this surgery... it would not change my life. I thought a lot about it and have trepidation with surgery again. But it appears I am healthy enough to take the shot. I will miss the colostomy. Sounds weird. But I looked at it as special knowing that the past 4 years would not have been possible without it. The products they have today to me, make it in some bizarre way, almost convenient; never needing to find a toilet. I use the closed pouch.

I understand that mine is a colostomy which made it easier to manage. I do take a small amount of kaopectate, and small amount zantac daily when I want it to stop if I have an important event or activity and for me this has worked well.

I know that without this website my life would not have been the same. I learned so much and really got a perspective on things. There are so many courageous, compassionate people on here. Amazing how understanding and open-minded we all become when the shoe is on our foot, and not the other guy's. Like I always knew [and said] one does not know their own strength or capabilities until they are confronted with challenges. Like a test in school; you just don't know what you really learned... until you see the questions.

To every member I wish all the best. This wish includes continued strength, a positive mindset in difficult moments and the spiritual and physical energy to overcome, and meet each challenge.

I confess being nervous. I don't know why. Four years ago I was sick before I finally was convinced to go to an E.R. Thought I had the flu! Duh! I was in severe, debilitating pain, weak, de-hydrated, distended and had 'poison' leaking into my perineum. That surgeon was not a colon surgeon, he was an angel. This surgeon is a colon surgeon named as one of the best in Chicago. I really don't like prima donnas... so hopefully he gets a good night's sleep, lays off the bottle and remembers what he learned in medical school. LOL. But I survived that earlier 50/50 outcome surgery, hit the ground running thereafter and and will trust this time it will be a good outcome.Hopefully the pre-op preparation and colonoscopy, will be the worst part.

I will come back on this site to report so others who are considering having a reversal, and those who cannot, will gain some knowledge from my experience.

All my best,
Stewart [Sigmoid Freud]

itchy23

You need to watch out for hernias after a reversal. Check "No, I'm not fat... under blogs.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
bubby

Way to go!! Hope the operation was as much a success as you. I have been down that road with a colostomy, then reversal 5 months later. As the old cliché says, "What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger"..... very interesting times then. No problems to date as going on 3 years. Jay

NEWTON1100

How did your reversal go? I've had my colostomy since Oct 2010; just need to "man up" and get my reversal done. I now have twin grandbaby girls and I don't want them to ever see me with this. Please let me know how it went. I need all the confidence I can get.

SigmoidFreud

OK. Almost 4 weeks after the fiasco that was my "reversal" I finally have enough energy to post a follow-up. So, the prima donna surgeon [who is a colo-rectal surgeon and a Castle Connolly Top American Doctor] could not get a laparoscopic stapler through my lower colon [of which I had almost 12"] so that he could fricking staple the anatomosis. So, he had to convert to an open-incision and spend 2 more hours in surgery. Un-fking-real..! The reason the clown gave for not being able to insert a stapler through the colon to the connection site was that I had a so-called "stricture" or some "scaring." Very vague. Of course I had a colonoscopy the day before and for some unknown reason the GI guy did not note any such condition when scoping the lower colon.

The surgeon then had to hand-stitch the connection, and in his view, this necessitated him doing a "temporary" loop ileostomy!! So I spent 9 days suffering in the hospital because post-operation my bowel did not operate and they had to put a bowel catheter in the small intestine due to my developing an Ileus and burping/hiccupping for hours. This helped but they waited 4 days before doing this procedure which took care of the hiccups/belching immediately.

Now I have to have a 2nd surgery to take-down the temporary loop ileostomy. This is schedule for December 18th. Only question is do I want this same surgeon to do the operation. Not only can't this guy communicate and has a crap bed-side manner, but it is hard to believe that the standard of care is such that you just roll the dice and not investigate upfront whether a laparoscopic stapler can be moved through the patient's remaining lower colon. What good is a pre-op colonoscopy if the surgeon does not ask the GI doctor to take a look at the anatomical struture, the diameter and any scarring in and around the lower colon- so as to have a better idea if the patient can have a successful laparascopic procedure!?

After I got home I was so tired could not do much of anything for almost 3 weeks. Could not eat well since I devloped reflus and of course the surgeon's resident who assisted him did not give me any post-op meds. Had to call and see my primary doc. Didn't work, stayed home. Just exhausted - not to mention losing 11 pounds and having muscle atrophy/loss - after spending all year working out so as to get stronger for this operation. Never felt this tired; not even when I had the perforated bowel in 2010, developed peritonitis and needed the original colostomy procedure. I then took IV antibiotics for 5 weeks so I would not die from the infection. Never felt so weak. .

I am going to have an attorney investigate whether they had a duty to know if they could do a laprascopic procedure. What good is informed consent if the surgeon does not even mention that they may not be able to use a surgical stapler and that his would require an open incision, FOUR hours of surgery [rather than 1.5-2 hours!], weeks of recovery, potential ileus and a 2nd surgery with more anesthesia!?I just can't beelive they roll the dice rather than finding out if the patient's anatomy is conducive to laparoscopic reversal.

More later....

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister