Laser Hair Removal for Stoma Irritation

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Penguins7

Has anyone considered or looked into laser hair removal around the stoma? The shaving can really irritate the skin. Penguins7

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,099 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

iMacG5

Hey Penguins, I wrote a while ago about NOT shaving.  I use one of those things for removing ear and nose hairs.  My surgeon recommended it and it works for me.  No ingrown hairs, no nicks or cuts, no more fear.  It might be worth a try before the laser thing.

Sincerely,

Mike

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Penguins7

Hi Mike, thanks so much for your response. That is a great idea. Stay well. Rod

GraphX12

This is a great topic and one I have toiled over since my surgery over a year ago. I have to shave every other time I change my appliance (I change every 4 to 5 days). I get a lot of irritation and have considered looking into laser removal but not sure how it could be done. I mean, wouldn't the appliance need to be completely removed to get the job done? This could lead to some "interesting situations". I would love to hear from anyone out there that has had this procedure done. I've also considered using an electric razor to see if this would help any.

iMacG5: The nose hair thing sounds like a good idea directly around the stoma. I just may try this. I don't see how it would work for the larger area where the adhesive skin barrier attaches though. This is where I may try the electric razor. I would like to have it permanently removed though so I no longer would have to worry about it.

Has anybody out there gone the laser route?

Thanks!

Doug

iMacG5

OK Doug and Rod, I don't want to give you misinformation so I went back to my notes.  The hair doesn't have to be cut to skin level.  In fact, cutting it too close could promote ingrown hair where it's covered with adhesive tape or the wafer.  Long hair prevents the adhesive from contacting the skin and, therefore, it won't stick.  I use a regular beard or sideburn trimmer for the larger parts and sometimes for the area right next to the stoma.  I use alcohol wipes or liquid to clean any adhesive off the trimmer.  When I'm done there's plenty of bare skin to attach to but it's definitely not a "close shave".  It's been many months since I used a blade and it's all good.  These are my opinions and encouraged by my surgeon.  I hope this can work as well for you guys but I never heard any supporting thoughts.

Good luck,

Mike

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
GraphX12

Thanks Mike! I'll try just "trimming" the hair short as you suggest. A problem I have is that the adhesive really sticks to the hair when removing. A pain in the ... abdomen. I don't have a problem with the adhesive not sticking. I will try the trimmer route a few times and see if I have any "hair pulling" problems when removing the old skin barrier.

Thanks for the tip, Mike!

Doug

Past Member

My first year after surgery, I couldn't keep an appliance on due to my irritated skin. My dermatologist recommended the laser hair removal. After about six months of treatments, my skin was able to recover. I don't do laser anymore, I just use a beard trimmer to keep the hair down.

GraphX12

Austinid:

So are you saying your 1st year you had irritated skin because you had the laser hair removal? Also, you now just use a beard trimmer - is this because the laser treatment didn't work? I thought laser treatments were supposed to be permanent. How is the laser treatment performed with the skin barrier? I assume it has to be removed and wouldn't that cause issues not having the appliance on during the treatment? Thanks!

Past Member

No, Laser was the best thing to happen. I was under the impression that it was perm too, but no. I did have to remove the barrier, just had a lot of towels around, and tried to not eat prior to going in. Treatments were only 5-10 minutes long.

GraphX12

Thanks for pointing out that the laser treatment is not permanent. I always thought it was. I was seriously considering having it done but couldn't figure out "how the logistics" would work. But now that you tell us it's not permanent, I guess I won't even bother. Thanks again, austinid!