Experiences with Shingles and Ostomies?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
About
Share your experiences and tips on managing shingles while living with an ostomy.
ron in mich

I was wondering if others with ostomies have had shingles and how it affected them and any tips for dealing with shingles. Thanks.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,091 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

vikinga

Hi Ron,

I have not had shingles, but here is a great website for researching alternative solutions for help. I get his newsletter every day and he is a wealth of information on health topics. Very pro natural medicine. Just type "shingles" into the search bar at the top and it will bring up a bunch of stuff.

Good luck! :)

http://www.mercola.com/

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Past Member

Hello Ron,

As a matter of fact, I had them last month. I did not get the vaccine because I was afraid it would make me ill. Well, that decision came back to bite me. And I got shingles on the soles of my feet which is very rare. My doctor put me on the standard medication therapy of the antiviral, Acyclovir (Zovirax), the pain med Gabapentin (Neurontin); which I was already taking for fibromyalgia, and the steroid, Prednisone, to prevent another episode. There is no real fast cure for shingles and they can be terribly painful. Luckily, I had a mild case. I used cool compresses and kept my feet elevated. The worst part was coming off the steroids. They made me ravenous, irritable, and anxious. I gained 12 pounds which I am still trying to lose. Get the vaccine. I can get mine 90 days from when I began the meds. You can be sure, I'll be there for it. Sometimes, I think there is a bug going around as there have been SO many cases of shingles in my hometown it isn't even funny. My second cousin did not get over her case for a year and she thought she would never be free of the pain. Take care and be gentle to yourself. Loretta

ron in mich

Thanks for the responses, I am on 1000mg Valtrex and the doc recommended cold compress, but a friend suggested calamine lotion which seems to work for the tingling and itching. As for the pain, I am not going to take the gabapentin as it has too many side effects, but am alternating between Aleve and Tylenol.

GraphX12

Has anyone out there gotten the shingles vaccine and, in your opinions, is it safe with no/few side effects? I had an ileostomy a year-and-a-half ago after contracting a life-threatening case of C. diff from a routine colonoscopy (that's another story in itself). I was diagnosed with UC about 20 years ago and early on fought the battle of prednisone and other steroids. In my opinion, prednisone was created by Satan and I swear I will NEVER take it again. Would hate to contract shingles if this is standard treatment for it.

Thanks!

Doug

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Snookis Mum

Hi Doug

I have had an ileostomy for almost four years. I had the shingles vaccine about three months ago, and had absolutely no side effects from it. I have had some clients who have suffered from shingles, and there was no way that I was going to go through that, so the vaccine was a no-brainer for me.

Good luck.

Sandi

GraphX12

Thanks for your reply, Sandi. I think I am going to look into getting this vaccination.

Thanks!

Doug

boatlady

Hi, yes I had shingles this year. It was the most awful thing that has happened to me. When the blisters were under my appliance, it just would not stick.

I tried all kinds of stuff, even a new type of appliance. I just had to let nature take its course. It took around 9 months for me to be able to go out without worrying if my bag would fall off.

I am too young for the vaccine, but if you are not, then please get it. That will save you lots of concern.

From Marcella

betrdanevr

I so hate to hear that you had such trouble with shingles and an ostomy!

DonBrown1943

My wife had a severe case of shingles on her back, so severe she couldn't wear a bra (I didn't mind that) and could barely tolerate a blouse. I felt so sorry for her. She took prednisone for three or four weeks and some other medication and got it healed up in six weeks that seemed like a year. I got the vaccine later. Shortly after getting the vaccine, I had the extreme emergency colostomy surgery, but they were not connected. I believe her shingles were more painful than my surgery. Don.

boatlady21

I got over having shingles eventually, but it still comes back from time to time. But only mildly. Now, I have Parkinson's. I was told it's all down to stress.

DonBrown1943

Yes, I have Parkinson's and I have been told it was related to stress because high stress levels lower a body's immune response. Having already had cancer and other autoimmune disorders, my immune system is already weakened, making me vulnerable. My wife had an episode of ulcerative colitis so bad that she nearly bled to death forty-five years ago but it has not been repeated. My experience has taught us both to pay a lot closer attention to what our bodies are telling us.

Hermit

Research "tapping". It's for stress along with other things. It works.

Deziner

Have had shingles 3 times! Was so stressed that I didn't feel any of the horrible pain that shingles are known for. Just itched like crazy.
When I lived in So. Cal, had a stalker! My daughter, 8 at the time, and I were both in danger. We had to move to Napa to be near family. Was safe there.
Sharon

PS. We all have stories