Post-op bladder discharge: causes, duration, and management?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
About
This topic discusses the causes, duration, and management of post-op bladder discharge, with participants sharing their experiences and advice.
fishkeeper

When they do a urostomy and leave the bladder behind, my query is:

Does the bladder produce a blood-stained discharge post-op?

Does the bladder also discharge post-op?

Is it long-term?

Do I have to use any form of pads, etc.?

Thanks in advance.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,093 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

vulcanBMk2

It's a urostomy!!! Why would they leave the bladder?? It's removed. You won't have one. Your urine will go directly via your stoma from your kidneys, into your pouch!! Your ileal conduit will be formed from a portion of your intestine.

Have you not been given full details of your operation by your surgeon or stoma nurses??

I spent 3 months before my operation on the internet, finding out every last detail of what was involved.

If I could have stayed awake during the operation and held a scalpel, I could have taken my own bladder out. (Lymph nodes, prostate).

I realize you are a female... so things will be slightly different, but I recommend a good long chat with your clinic, so you can have all the answers and peace of mind.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
fishkeeper

They are leaving the behind as in my case it is not the big C what is the problem. My bladder has no feeling, nerve endings, very small only holds 50mls at the most. I am incontinent all the time. I had other operations but none has worked. So they have told me this is the only way forward.

vulcanBMk2

If they are going to bypass the bladder, just perform an Ileal Conduit, I would imagine that by the time you leave the hospital, bladder discharge would have dried up as urine is no longer passing into the bladder. There should be little or no fluid-related problems.

Also, regarding the operation wound drain, that too should have been removed before you leave the hospital. I know they don't like sending people home with drains still in them. My drain removal was not painful.

It's not the most comfortable of operations, but the pain is not great. In most people, healing is pretty quick. I hope your operation is successful so that you can get some quality of life back.

After a life of inconvenience and pain, wearing a bag opens up a whole new world for most people.

Hope all goes well and best wishes....

TomFTW

The bladder is often left behind to preserve sexual function, especially when there is no prostate cancer. I had my urinary ostomy at age 10 and still have my bladder. I am 50 now. Any post-op discharge should clear up soon after surgery. I would say within a week or two. You might have an occasional bladder infection due to bacteria build up (sex etc.), but you can use a catheter to irrigate your bladder with water soluble Neosporin or similar antibiotic to keep it away. Message me if I can help!

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
fishkeeper

Thanks Tom. Still on the waiting list and waiting for a date. Can I ask you why they did your urostomy? They are going to leave my bladder behind. Getting more stressed with the waiting.

Happy New Year to you.

TomFTW

Mine was due to Spina Bifida.