Hernia Around Stoma

Replies
Views
prawle
Hi all,

I have developed a hernia around my stoma which causes me great difficulties. Has any member had such a hernia successfully repaired and could recommend a surgeon here in the UK?

Regards,

Prawle
weewee

Sorry, can't help you over there. Not in the UK, so good luck. Best wishes and all the crap that goes with it.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,321 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

Hi, I have the same problem and I spoke to my surgeon. He told me that there is only a 50% success rate, so I decided not to go ahead. Instead, I searched the internet for a support belt and found the Nu Hope support belt, which is now available through the NHS. See your stoma nurse. This belt is so comfortable, I don't know I have it on, and my hernia is no longer a problem. Hope this helps, Peter from South Wales.

lottagelady

I too have a parastomal hernia which is due to be repaired at the John Radcliffe in Oxford in the new year. I have had it for 5 years now, increasing in size, and it is now 'as big as it gets' apparently! In order to improve the chances of a successful repair (only 50% of hernia repairs are successful - backed up by my surgeon yesterday!), they intend to move my stoma (ileostomy) to the other side, and also strengthen that with mesh too. I will also be having a fistula repair at the same time. As we already have a split in our abdominal muscle around the stoma, I hope that we do not automatically fall into the 50% that do not repair well, but having had many failed ops in the last few years, I am running out of faith.....
Past Member
Hi Prawle,

I had a parastomal hernia which was moderate in size. I have just had my colostomy reversed and my hernia repaired at the same time. My surgeon was going to do mesh but decided against it and decided to just stitch it. I only had it done on the 14th Nov 09 and all is settling down. Still sore and tender but I just hope it doesn't recur. I couldn't go through more surgeries. With regard to finding a good surgeon, perhaps you should ask your surgeon if he does these operations regularly and maybe could you get some feedback from previous patients that he has dealt with. I hope this is some help. Remember, it's your body and you are in control. Take care, Pippa (Julie)

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister