Ostomy travel certificate and exploding bags on long flights - advice needed!

Replies
Views
Jennfour

This is a couple of questions for Cutycall or anyone who can help. I have tried commenting on her post but I guess I can't if I am not a paid member. I will upgrade my membership soon. I have had an ileostomy now for almost 6 months and am due to fly soon, probably January. Can you tell me, what is an ostomy travel certificate and if you had to use it, what does it do? I will be doing an 11-hour flight and hadn't thought of exploding bags. Really worried now lol. Any advice? I have found marshmallows can actually make it thinner - is the sugar-free option the one to thicken? Sorry bombarding with questions, but first time on the forum. Thank you in advance for any help. Best wishes and congratulations on your bravery for all taking all these activities. I am looking for my courage lol

Zywie

Hey Jennfour, you don't have to be a paid member to reply to posts or comment on blogs. I'm not a paid member. The only thing you can't do is initiate a whisper (private chat) or message to someone. But you can answer messages. I did notice, since they did some changes to the site recently, sometimes I have to click on the little icon of the T (it says paste as text when you put your cursor on it) up in the left-hand corner here where you reply. I have no idea why it doesn't work if I don't click that.

P.S. I don't know the answer to your questions. Except I have heard marshmallows work wonders. I'm sure you will get more answers.

Hope your trip is superb!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Jennfour

Thank you for your help, Zywie. I was able to click "Reply" to you and answer, but on the other comment I was trying to make, there are no text boxes at the top. It just won't send. I think I may have to upgrade my membership in order to initiate questions. Thanks again.

Immarsh

Hi Jennfour,

I have traveled extensively all around the US, Mexico, Canada, the Caribbean, and to Europe, Japan, China, South Africa, and to Australia 7 times. I've never needed an "ostomy certificate". I always take my medications and surgical supplies in a carry-on piece of luggage. But I also carry a few wafers and pouches in a tote bag, in case I need it "immediately". I've never had to change on the plane...

I wrote you a more detailed message, so you can look for that. If you have any other questions, you can post here, or try to write to me...

Where will you be flying to..? My NY to LA, to Brisbane Australia is 19 hours....if things go well. Once missed the California connection, so had to go to NZ, Sydney, and then Brisbane...total of 28 hours. Not fun....but it was an experience.

Best regards..

Marsha

Snookis Mum

Hi Jennfour

I travel from Tampa to Sydney (29 hours total - not fun) and I have never actually had to use my "certificate", but I have always had it ready to show to TSA if they ask for it. When they x-ray you, if you have liquid in your pouch it may show up, so I just make sure it is completely empty when I get into line.

As for the pouches "blowing up" - sometimes they do get more air in them when the cabin is pressurized. So just make sure that it is as flat as possible when you sit down, and then as soon as the seatbelt light goes off, just go to the loo and release the air. It also helps to not eat gassy foods before your flight. I also use Osto-EZ vents on my pouches. So if I can't get to the restroom, I can easily release the air under my blanket (use LOTS of deodorant).

Have a wonderful trip!

Sandi

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Jennfour

Thank you Snookis Mum for your comments and helpful advice. So is the certificate just for security if the pouch shows up? Not sure if we have such a certificate in Aus. I only saw your reply by accident, I am still finding my way around the site. There seems to be the forum, chat, and blogs, so need to be on my toes not to miss any replies.

Even with my ileostomy, I still find that what they call "overflow" happens and I need to go to the toilet in the normal way sometimes too. I didn't expect that and hope it's normal. It's a nuisance of course as that's 2 things to deal with. Also have a wound from a surgery drain that hasn't healed in 5 months.

Thanks to this site and you wonderful people, I am determined to try to live all I can, the best I can.

Thank you again, Jennfour

babsk43

I have had an ileostomy for almost 15 years and have flown and continue to fly frequently. I have never had a travel certificate but I can recommend getting the book "Yes We Can: Traveling with an Ostomy." You will find it very helpful, and it does have a travel card in the book that you will find helpful when traveling. Happy travels!!! The authors, Barbara Kupfer, Kathy Foley-Bolch, and Michelle Fallon Kasouf, all have had ostomy surgery. Doctor W. Brian Sweeney was formerly Chief of Colo-Rectal Surgery at the University of Massachusetts Hospital in Worcester, Massachusetts. He now practices in Minneapolis, Minnesota, and teaches at the University of Minnesota. They wrote this pocket-sized reference guide for the person who has an ostomy and wishes to travel. The guide covers an enormous range of useful information and details every issue that may arise when traveling with an ostomy, such as what to bring, dietary considerations, ways of travel, toileting, emergency situations, and tips for physically challenged people. At the end of the book, six comprehensive appendices list worldwide resources, international organizations, suppliers, and even key words and phrases translated into eleven languages.

This book is a very clear and useful guide for any ostomy patient. It equips the ostomy patient with an excellent map to help them on their joyful trip. All proceeds go to ostomy charities.

Lost_Treasure

Whichever Ostomy Association you get your supplies from in Oz will be able to provide you a small certificate (will need to be signed by your GP or STN) which proves you are an ostomate and requests we are treated with additional respect should we be required to undergo a search.

Have a read up on http://www.australianstoma.com.au/index.php/general/travelling-overseas for additional information.

"Windless Tablets", placed in your pouch (available under the Stoma Appliance Scheme) can help with the gas and pressurization problem.

Advise the airline (when you book your ticket) that you require a special diet.... Just decide whether you can live without sugar or wheat for the duration of the flight! You will be the first to be fed at each mealtime, so by the time everyone else is getting their meal and tucking in, there should be no queues for the loo, which will be your turn to deal with your pouch.

I found the biggest problem with airline loos is that they tend to flush only the back part of the pan and we drain our pouches to the front. Taking an empty paper or plastic cup to transfer additional water from the hand basin may solve this problem for you.

Best wishes..... Diana

"Bad cholesterol is the kind that clogs arteries, shoplifts lipstick and lies under oath." [Reader's Digest.]

ostralian

Hi Jennfour. Regarding the travel certificate, it is in case airport personnel have a query about your supplies, and lets them know you are an ostomate and need to carry these supplies with you. If you are travelling, you should order supplies as early as possible before you leave. Just refer to our newsletter for all info.

If you are a member of the WA Ostomy Association, we have a resident stomal therapist who is available on Tuesdays 9-1 (no appointment necessary).

We are closed from 18th Dec (today is the last day before Christmas) and open again on 6th January.

Jennfour

Hi Immarsh, thank you for your private messages. I much appreciate contact with you and have replied privately.

Jennfour

Thank you very much babsk43,

The link to the book I am sure will be really helpful and I think I will almost certainly order it. It is great to hear that you fly frequently and to be pre-warned of some of the problems that may arise and how to handle them. I am very grateful when anyone takes the time to help in this way.

I guess I have a few issues, one is that I am not travelling for a holiday, but to live in Saudi (my husband works there) for up to 3 months at a time. I had an obstruction after my original op, then a leak and now antibiotics for the next year I think. The antibiotics cause even more eruptions from the ileostomy, I certainly cannot eat fruit and vegetables anymore. I also have a wound from the drain from the original op (July) that shows no sign of drying up or healing. I dress that myself. So I am trying to be positive and not "expecting" another obstruction etc. It's in the back of my mind all the time at the moment though.

Again thank you so much for your kind reply.

Jennfour

Hi Lost_Treasure,

Great information on handling the time on board the plane. Thank you for sharing your experiences. Advising the airline in advance seems to be a good idea. Thanks for the Aussie link, I had been struggling to find good Aussie sites. I am keeping all these replies to refer to when the time comes.

I guess I have a few issues, one is that I am not travelling for a holiday, but to live in Saudi (my husband works there) for up to 3 months at a time. I had an obstruction after my original op, then a leak and now antibiotics for the next year I guess. The antibiotics cause even more eruptions from the ileostomy, I certainly cannot eat fruit and vegetables anymore. I also have a wound from the drain from the original op (July) that shows no sign of drying up or healing. I dress that myself. So I am trying to be positive and not "expecting" another obstruction etc. It's in the back of my mind all the time at the moment though.

The more replies I get and the more I read of all the various experiences, gives me more confidence and positivity.

Kind regards

Jennfour

Hi Australian (love the handle lol)

I am a member of the Association, but live in Mandurah. I have spent the last 6 months moving from friend to relative to friend! My house here has tenants in it, as we took an overseas assignment last year. We also had to sell the cars so not easy to come to the ostomy centre. I guess I have a few issues, one is that I am not traveling for a holiday, but to live in Saudi (my husband works there) for up to 3 months at a time. I had an obstruction after my original op, then a leak and now antibiotics for the next year I think. The antibiotics cause even more eruptions from the ileostomy, I certainly cannot eat fruit and vegetables anymore. I also have a wound from the drain from the original op (July) that shows no sign of drying up or healing. I dress that myself. So I am trying to be positive and not "expecting" another obstruction etc. It's in the back of my mind all the time at the moment though.

I will be staying with a friend in Perth in January and will make a concerted effort to get to the therapist and get a certificate for traveling. I would also love to get to the morning tea, I could make the 17th Jan, but not sure if you will be holding a January one.

Thank you for all the great information. I hope to meet you one of these days in Perth.

Kind regards

Jennfour

I'm an idiot Australian, too new to all this. I had no idea the Perth centre would close for almost 3 weeks, and now not sure I have enough base plates. Any ideas? I looked on the Dansac website and they don't seem to supply direct- can't find an option to purchase.

Thanks, Jenny

ostralian

Hi Jennfour. I did wonder if you were in the metro area. Bit hard to get there from Mandurah! The 2nd Tuesday in January is the 13th, and it's afternoon tea (I got it wrong, sorry, not morning tea) from 2pm till 4pm. Perhaps email the week before, to check it's definitely on.

Jennfour

Hi again, thank you - I will try ringing Dansac tomorrow. I'm not sure they will "sell" though, but I will certainly try.

My item is Dansac Nova 2 Soft Convex, 43mm, precut 18mm - ref.1443-18. My member number is Membership No. 10637 (Public).

I had ordered 10 and they came in quick time, but not sure they will last. As a "newbie" I have some leakage problems and I have already had to put 1 in the bin because I think I handled it too much and it wouldn't stick. If there is a similar product from another company I could try, I guess.

My husband is back in the country tomorrow and we will have a car, so we can easily get to Perth. He leaves again on the 3rd January. If there are any other stockists you know of, we could get to them. Thanks for any help you can give.

Kind regards,

Jennyh

ostralian

I didn't realise you are a public member, Jenny. The WA Ostomy Association are, as far as I know, the only stockists in WA. I think your best bet is to contact Dansac and see what they say. You could phone them early since they are 2 hours ahead of us or email them tonight. You could also try Surgical House in Perth.

anyark

Marshmallows are thickening agents.

Although I've never needed it, I carry the card that the ostomy assoc. has and I have a letter from my surgeon, stating that I have an ostomy and have to carry medical supplies with me.

Your bag will not explode, but to be more comfortable in case you're worried about a Code Brown, you might want to wear Depends on the flight. I usually do that.

With peace...............

Jennfour

Good morning Australian,

I have called Dansac and they don't sell to the public, but they are sending me a few samples - I don't know how many that will be, but anything will be better than nothing. They are coming from Melbourne. Surgical House doesn't seem to carry Dansac.

Once again, thank you for your advice.

Kind regards,

Jennfour

Jennfour

Thank you, anyark,

All these lovely replies are confidence building, plus there's nearly always a joke in there that makes me smile.

Jennfour

ostralian

That's better than nil, Jenn ..

Jennfour

Hi again Australian,

Was thinking about trying to get to the afternoon tea tomorrow, but have no car here in Perth. I will check out the buses etc. and see what I can do.

There hasn't been any parcels from you guys or Dansac received in Mandurah as yet.

I guess they had to come from Melbourne, then to Ostomy WA and then to Mandurah. Hoping for tomorrow.

Thanks again for your earlier help,

Jennfour

ostralian

Hi Jenny.

I understand the parcel was posted on Thursday, so I hope it arrived today. Sorry I didn't appear to write earlier, but I tried to send an email, and only just had an email from here to say I had to come on the website to send a message.

The train station is fairly close to the association, if you can get to the train easily.. Where are you staying? I'm in Gosnells, and leave home about 8am. Hope you can make it tomorrow.

Trish

Jennfour

Hi Trish,

Thanks for your reply. Was the parcel posted from Mt. Lawley on Thursday?

I am at Mt Claremont, and could get a bus to Claremont Station I think, then would it be Mt. Lawley Station? Might need a rest day tomorrow, but who knows- maybe I will have renewed motivation in the morning lol. I am using old samples I got from St. John of God right at the beginning. The parcel will go to Silver Sands and then will have to be sent from there.

Hope to speak soon,
Thanks again.

Jenny

ostralian

I was told it was posted on Thursday from Mt Lawley, Jenny. Mt Lawley looks like the best bet. I always take the car as I always have other things to do later. I know some people go to Mt Lawley station and others go to East Perth. I could give you a lift back to the station later, if you can get to the meeting. Cheers, Trish.

ostralian

I was told it was posted on Thursday from Mt Lawley, Jenny. Mt Lawley looks like the best bet. I always take the car as I always have other things to do later. I know some people go to Mt Lawley station and others go to East Perth. I could give you a lift back to the station later, if you can get to the meeting. Cheers, Trish.

Jennfour

Thanks Trish, I don't think I can make it today, it's quite a trek it seems. Supplies still have not arrived and they come so quickly normally that I am a bit worried about where they are. Anyway, I will see what the post today brings. You have my number somewhere on file I guess, would appreciate a call if this is at all possible. If not, that's fine of course. I am still struggling to find the right products, keeping skin good, etc., and stopping leakages. Need to perfect my technique. Trying various samples out at the moment, etc.

Jenny

ostralian

Hi Jenny, I didn't keep your phone number, but there is another way possibly. Are you on Facebook? We could send messages through there.

It was a bit hot out today, and we were really busy in Ostomy as well. If the supplies don't arrive by Thursday, could you call them and speak to Kym. Also ask if Tania, our stoma therapist, could call you to have a chat about leakages and perhaps a solution. She is very helpful.

I left home at 8.30 today so I didn't see your message until now.

Tricia Sirett

Jennfour

Sounds like you have found me, Tricia. Great!

Jennfour

Thank you for the info as well.