Reversal

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Concernedsis44

My brother went in for a colostomy reversal on the 19th, but due to adhesions and scar tissue, he ended up with an ileostomy. He is so distraught, and we are trying to help him get through this daily. The doctor says he can go for another reversal in 3 months, but he is very apprehensive right now. Has anyone experienced this?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,099 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Wilski

I had an obstruction in my peristomal hernia of my colostomy. During that surgery, they reversed the colostomy, removed my appendix (why not), and gave me an ileostomy. The ileostomy is worse because the output is more frequent and less solid. Nonetheless, a year ago, I had the ileostomy reversed and I am better than new. No bags.

Based on experience, three months is too soon to reverse the ileostomy. Have your brother wait at least 6-9 months so that he regains his strength and heals inside from the recent surgery. I was functioning normally within three days and out of the hospital. Within a week, all was good and in 3 months, it was an old memory. Good luck!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Mary Ann

My first "reversal" for colostomy ended up being turned into an ileostomy as I had more strictures (diverticulitis with abscess and stricture).

It took 5 months to heal after that surgery, a resection by a colorectal surgeon and finally a real reversal, about a year after the failed one (After a colonoscopy and flex sig and ultrasound, and lab work). For the reversal attempt after the colostomy, I was still fighting the last of the infection three months after the original colostomy. A lot of the success factor in getting a reversal seems to tend to be related to the underlying reason for the colostomy in the first place though, so your mileage may vary.

My best advice is to get a colorectal surgeon and have them do every test imaginable to ensure success.