Morning Pain

Replies
Views
sweede0

Every morning I am awakened by pain in my tummy. It is usually about 4am or so and will last until mid-morning. Has anyone had this problem? I don't eat after 5 in the afternoon most of the time. I will usually just suck on a hard candy if I want something. I have had my ileostomy for 2 1/2 years now. Also, I keep searching for something to thicken the contents of the bag to try and keep food from passing through so fast. I have trouble keeping myself hydrated, so I figure if I can thicken it, the fluid won't go.

iMacG5

Hi Swede0.  Sorry nobody jumped in to help.  Several folks have had success thickening the output.  Unfortunately I don't remember what they used except for marshmellows and, maybe, bananas.  Maybe if you post a question specific to thickening, you'll get some suggestions.  

We shouldn't have pain regularly.  What's your doc(s) have to say about that?

Please stay in touch.

Mike

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,369 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

LadyHope

Hi SweedeO, I am sorry that I missed your post too. I would have answered sooner. I can't help with the pain except to ask....could you be hungry and your stomach is filling up with air causing pain? If I don't eat something every few hours, I have gas in my belly and it is uncomfortable. Just a thought. Regarding thickening up the liquid, my output varies throughout the day...liquid to pudding-like. To keep thick or firm, I eat potatoes, chips, pasta, lots of bread with butter, rice, yams, chicken, cookies, graham crackers. When I eat veggies, salads, fruits, my output is thinner. I read somewhere that cooked veggies provide better vitamins because they are easier to break down in the system. I always preferred my veggies cooked. Raw, with the exception of a salad, is not my favorite.

To add to the thickening list, bananas and marshmallows...I don't really like them but they help.

Keeping hydrated is tricky too. I drink water and Gatorade along with lots of herbal tea. I would drink the regular all day but it does dehydrate me with the caffeine. I keep to two cups of regular in the morning and drink decaf the rest of the day.

Hope this helps. Take care. LH