Simple Question!

In this discussion
Replies
Views
jjbyjork

Hi all!

Just posting this as a simple question mostly out of curiosity to the community in general.

Who on here has inquired into, or tried, or stuck with irrigating vs just the "O' natural" way of doing things... or rather the newer way of letting your system do its thing with a pouch instead. :P "

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,101 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

Hi jjbyjork,

I was just contemplating writing a story about irrigation, then I saw your post.

I have been irrigating now for about 3 months and it is fantastic. I've got the irypump by BBraun and it takes 3 minutes to pump in 1.6 litres of 36 deg water. Then it takes about 7 minutes to have 4-5 evacuations (still in bathroom with sleeve attached), then tie up sleeve, go downstairs for a cup of tea about 20 minutes while waiting for "late return," then back to the bathroom, remove sleeve, shower, dry off, put stoma cap on, and enjoy a whole day with no stoma activity. I am not back to full strength following my surgery but hope will be soon then holidays.

Regarding the O'natural way, it scared the living daylights out of me, especially if we had company and I became aware the bag was filling. I would just freeze and wonder how I could slink off to change. Hated going out of the house and hated driving, my seat belt prevented me from keeping a check on things.

Hope that's useful, kind regards Doug

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
medic361

I have been irrigating since 4 weeks post-surgery. The time it takes each day was just time I spent wasting on other things less important. When I was diagnosed with colorectal cancer, I was devastated and it ate at me. I chose to meet this challenge head-on and learned everything I could pre-surgery and realized that I could live life normally as before. If you have the ability to irrigate, I would recommend it to you.