Help! What's an ileostomy revision like?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
livinnandlearnin

It's starting to look like I'm going to need a revision of my ileostomy. I had a complete colectomy 5 years ago (and many other surgeries since) and blood flow to my stoma is poor now and causing me pain, not to mention how sick I get when I eat. Can anyone tell me what that surgery is like and what to expect as far as recovery? I just got back to my old job in February, getting off disability, and getting my life back. I just can't handle another major surgery. Any info is appreciated.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,101 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Immarsh

Hi, I'm Marsha, and although I haven't had a revision, I did discuss the possibility of needing one with a reputable surgeon. My ostomy is more than 50 years old and is somewhat retracted, especially on the bottom. The surgeon told me that if it was still working and not causing pain, do nothing.

But your situation is different. From what I understand, they would disconnect the ostomy from whatever side it's on and then move it to the other side.... I know it's a little tricky to find another place on the abdomen.... as it depends on your shape, size, and previous surgery. If the stoma part is damaged (not getting enough blood), then they would probably remove some intestine and refashion a new stoma. My ex-husband had a revision (yes, we both had the surgery... that's how we met), but his abdomen was in good shape, and they were able to use the same site. His stoma was really old-fashioned.... Very long, about 4 inches, and because he had Crohn's disease, it would often get inflamed and swell up, so he couldn't get the appliance on. Make a list of questions and do some research so you can ask your surgeon what he will be doing. These days, stoma therapists sometimes help with the placement, so ask him about that also.

Best of luck to you.

Marsha

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate