Reversal

Replies
Views
Grammybec

I have had a colostomy for five years... I have two hernias that have to be taken care of and the surgeon suggested a reversal when they go in to do the hernia repair. I am very nervous about having a reversal because of the "dumping" stories I have heard about! I have found that my system generally works in the morning, so I plan all my activities for the afternoon, which works out well for me.

After over five years, will my rectal muscles work correctly or will I be incontinent and always worried and embarrassed to the point I don't want to leave the house?

Any thoughts from those that have had a reversal?

Thanks,

Becky

wvqd

Becky:

You will never be at peace with yourself if you don't try the reversal. Believe me, I had a reversal and subsequent failure, back to the ostomy and THEN I had a second reversal, I just couldn't accept the fact that it wasn't meant to be and the second failed also, so it's back to the pouch for me for eternity. After the second failure, I had EVERYTHING removed that would ever allow another attempt. So there isn't even an exit anymore. All removed and sewn up. Quite the sight I must admit. Give it your best shot and go for it. Your rectal muscles will work just as well as they ever did, even after long periods of not being used. I was amazed at that. There were times during the second reversal that I did have some small amount of leakage. Taken care of with the use of sanitary napkins, the thin ones that adhere to your underwear.

Here's wishing you the very best and PLEASE let me know how it goes.

God Bless

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,315 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.