Eliminated Foods Causing Gas Issues?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
About
This topic discusses experiences and advice on managing gas issues caused by certain eliminated foods after ostomy surgery.
Derek Smalls

Hey all!

It's been a while since I've been active here. I had my ileostomy for over 10 years now and have gone through quite an ordeal at the beginning. Earlier this year, I decided to lose weight and changed my diet. I eliminated yogurt, chips, crackers, cookies, and switched to wheat bread. The issue I am having is that now I have episodes of gas for a while, especially at work. This makes me nervous to go into meetings, as you can imagine. I spend most of my time either in my office, on the production floor, or in the maintenance shop. I never had these issues at the last company I worked for or even before the dietary change. I haven't added anything to my diet, just elimination of the above items.

Could anything I have eliminated actually curbed the gassy episodes?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,090 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

mild_mannered_super_hero

Bread and grains give me gas, others may be different. Try removing the bread from your diet.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
LadyHope

Hi Derek, I read your post and wanted to comment. I found yogurt to be very helpful with gas. I eat it several times per week because I have other stomach issues and it helps. Several people suggested that I take a probiotic but the yogurt is fine for me. It also helps lessen stool odor. Take care. LH

Derek Smalls

Thanks MMSH and LadyHope!

I am going to go back to white bread from wheat and see what happens. I will also look for a low-fat yogurt with low/no sugar.

LadyHope

Hi again....I can't eat the no sugar brand yogurt because it makes my stomach hurt, give me indigestion. I think it is the fake sweetener. Take care and good luck. LH

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Past Member

Hi. I think bread and grains give gas.