Dilation

Replies
Views
Sunnyside

Anyone had experience of dilation due to stricture? I've had an ileostomy since Sept 2014 and following a scan to check the join in my bowel was ok, I was told that the diameter of the join was 1cm and so have been referred for a dilation. My understanding is that I will have this done and then be referred back for another scan - and this will determine whether a reversal can then be considered. If the join is not widened, the consultant is concerned that I will experience blockages and pain following a reversal and so need to try and resolve this first. I've read that the need for more than one dilation is quite common but would be grateful for people's experience - i.e., is it painful afterwards, what success (or not) have experienced etc? Any info would be really helpful.

Wilski

I had a dilation done prior to my ileostomy reversal. It is not a problem. It is not painful and was done during a colonoscopy. They simply use a balloon that they inflate at the stricture point. Voila, no more stricture. I had the reversal 4 months after that procedure. Everything is perfect now. Good luck.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,362 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Ostosoon

Had an ileostomy since 2011. This is the first time I've developed a stricture. I've had to go in twice for dilation (since the beginning of the year). It's just like a regular scope, in which they drug you but insert a balloon-type thing to dilate. I also had to purchase a dilation kit and now have to insert it every night to keep the area open. It's where my small intestine was connected to the rectum. If it doesn't stay open, there's a good chance of infection and it will create other problems, my doctor said.

Wilski

Sunnyside - Please describe the condition of your colon. Where is the stricture? In the large bowel, the balloon process usually works well unless the joint was done poorly. Good luck.

LorrsineF
Reply to Wilski

I had 3 dilations in hsp and they did help for a short time but within abt 2 months I was back to liquids only Currently booking new dilation and stoma colonoscopy to try to help with the possibility of a future stent Hoping the procedures work ;Really hope u r doing well !!!!

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister