Inexpensive Odor Control: Cologne & Toilet Tissue Trick

In this discussion
Replies
Views
About
This topic discusses an inexpensive and effective trick using cologne and toilet tissue for odor control related to ostomy care.
Shiner

Here is a simple and inexpensive idea, an oldie, but still a goodie. I found a decent inexpensive cologne (I found a large bottle at Walmart in a spray). After emptying, using a coffee stir (wood like from Starbucks for longer, the shorter plastic is fine also), tear a square of toilet tissue in half, spray it once or twice, fold it, insert it into pouch and push it up inside with the stick, then seal. Works 100% of the time and is inexpensive.

Parthenon sells a great tablet you chew or swallow and in conjunction with the above will reduce worries.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,093 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Ewesful

Great idea -- also Altoid tablets; another elderly lady told me plain old baking soda.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
beyondpar

Be careful with the cologne in the bag. I don't know for sure, but the rule of thumb I have lived with and have been told over the years is if it can be ingested in the mouth, it can go in the bag. Ergo, I use LISTERINE in my pouch. Just one shot glass worth should keep it fresh for at least half the day... Michael

iMacG5

Hey Guys, I'm with Michael on this.  Baking soda, Altoids, Tic-Tacs and , even peroxide could be OK.  For me, the manufacturer's suggestion of 4 to 12 drops of the commercial pouch deodorants doesn't work.  20 drops of the Hollister's m9 or Montreal Ostomy's STOP plus seem to eliminate ALL odor for an entire day.  I've had bad experiences with the Hollister lubricating deodorant. 

Worth a try.

Mike

Mrs.A

I switch up. My first application is Brava lubricating deo. and odor control when I put on a fresh appliance. I sometimes use Altoids or Tic Tacs when I'm not at home. I often rinse with mouthwash on the second or third day of wear when I'm home.

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
iMacG5

Yup to rinsing with (diluted) mouthwash Mrs.A.  Never tried the Brava stuff.  Thank you.

Mike 

LadyHope

I agree with both Mike's and Mrs. A. If it can be ingested by mouth, it can be placed in the pouch. Also, some of those deodorants are faulty...they make matters worse. I know, I know...everyone is different but to stink up the pouch when there is little in there (you know what I mean) makes me question the product. As consumers, ostomates really have very little recourse except to throw away the product and try another one. What a waste of good, hard-earned money. Some companies will take the product back within one month if it was shipped incorrectly - that seems fair. Wouldn't it be wonderful if we could buy our merchandise at the local drug store or if the products overall had a money-back guarantee if you were not satisfied? I would love it. Anyway, I like M9, Na'Scent, and Safe n'Simple the best. I have tried several others but they did not work as well. I am going to try Listerine and maybe an Altoid to see how it works. Thanks for listening to my 2 1/2 cents. LH

Mrs.A

Hi LadyHope,

Your 2 and 1/2 cents was well spent. I would like very much to be able to go to the store and pick out my own supplies and just swipe my insurance card. Returning or exchanging what is left of a product would be great for all products with a valid reason, but I can only wonder what becomes of it? Does the manufacturer recycle it?

I am ever so grateful for our manufacturers because they do allow samples of their products at no cost.