Questions about reversal after colectomy/colostomy - seeking advice

In this discussion
Replies
Views
About
This topic discusses experiences and advice on the process of reversal after colectomy or colostomy, providing support and insights for those considering or undergoing the procedure.
Dudley

Going to talk with the surgeon on Monday that did my colectomy/colostomy, sigmoid to the splenic fixture, about the possibility of doing a reversal. It has been 10 months now. My surgeon is kinda old school and does everything open incision. So I would like to have an idea what questions I should be asking. I would like to hear from others that have had a reversal done. I had an open midline done that was stapled and he removed the staples after 6 days and the incision opened up and now have about a 1" wide scar.

The type of procedure done, open, lap, etc.

Anyone had a tummy tuck at the same time?

Thoughts on staples vs stitches.

I want to be sure I'm using the right surgeon, I didn't have any choice the first time although he seems quite competent. Just not much on the finished detail.

Thanks

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,089 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Mrs.A

Hi Dudley,

Good idea to gather your thoughts and questions ahead of time. I have a permanent colostomy and don't have any advice to share, but someone should be along soon who will know more. Meanwhile, I'm sure you could find information by doing an internet search.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Dudley

Thanks Mrs. A, I've been looking.

Dudley

Wilski

I've had a colostomy and ileostomy and reversals. I've seen/interviewed 8 surgeons until I found one that I trusted. If you have doubts, get another opinion. Reversing a colostomy is not a big deal nowadays. The surgical techniques are very good. You need someone who is a virtuoso surgeon and knows the current protocols. Good luck!

Dudley

Wilski, I talked with the surgeon on Monday. He plans to use an open incision as well as staples from the inside of the colon. I think that is current.

Thanks, D

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Wilski

That sounds good. It's the way my successful reversal was done. Good luck.