Yoga Participation

In this discussion
Replies
Views
WWRAFTER

Does anyone participate in yoga classes? Several exercises require lying on your stomach and the full weight of the body just happens to be focused on the stoma site. I was thinking of a medical donut or a beach ring that kids use.

I would appreciate suggestions as I would be crushed if I leaked while doing the routine.

Right now I have a blanket that is rolled up for the half of the tummy that is non-stoma. Trying to do the exercise and balance on the rolled blanket is not working.

Thanks

WWRafter

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,099 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Mrs.A

Hi WWRafter,

No, I haven't tried yoga classes but out of the two items you spoke of, I think the medical ring would be much more secure. I'm sure there will be other folks to comment that might have some great ideas! You might even experiment with eating early so your output is slower. Some say marshmallows slow down the output, but I'm not sure for how long it would do it for.

Best wishes and let us know what works for you.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
WWRAFTER

Hi Mrs. A,

I try not to eat 4 hours before the yoga session. Marshmallows do work for me.

I will truck on over to the store that sells medical rings.

Thank you for the reply and I will keep you informed.

WWRafter

gt59

Hi, I go to yoga classes in my local gym. One of the teachers often makes reference to squeezing your knees into your chest and compressing your colon... and I agree with not eating for a few hours before, which can sometimes be difficult.

I tend to use a stoma support belt. Here in the UK there are several available on free prescription, such as Hiline and Supportex.

I did try a couple of Pilates classes, but two things put me off. The lady teacher's references to clenching pelvic floor muscles, and squeezing back and front passages together. I don't think she liked having blokes in her class! And the strain it put on the area around my ileostomy. I decided it wasn't worth the risk of a hernia.

LadyHope

Hi WWRafter, I also do some light exercise although other people that I know have a more aggressive workout. I believe it all depends on the person and the surgery. Everything is so individual with an ostomy. Quick question....do you happen to attend the support group in Lower Bucks County? You look very familiar as I attend that group once in a while. Take care. Enjoy the summer. LH

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister