Ileostomy Op Date - Questions about Medications?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
About
This topic discusses questions about medications and their impact on ileostomy operation recovery.
quietgirl

Hello all! For some reason, I seem to have lost the ability to send private messages on here, so I thought I'd just put my news here. I'm going to have an ileostomy on 4th December! Not much fun but I'm looking forward to spending much less time in the bathroom when it's all settled down! Got my pre-op appointment on Saturday afternoon, and a meeting with the Stoma Nurse next Tuesday. I've got loads of questions whirling around my head - writing them down as they come to me! Any advice as to questions I should ask will be very welcome! One thing I was wondering - I'm on a shed-load of pills for a variety of conditions - antidepressants, HRT, osteoporosis-meds, heart meds to name but a few! Will I still be able to take tablets or will I have to switch to liquid versions? I guess the nurse will know! Thanks for reading!

Mandy (quietgirl) ;

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,091 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Charleston man

Hi Mandy,

I was told by my doctor that if the meds that I need to take can be dissolved within 30 minutes then I shouldn't have any problems. I have an end ileostomy and if the meds don't dissolve within that 30-minute period then they would just pass through. He told me to take one of the meds and put it in a glass of water to test the dissolve time. I also have to take various meds and so far they haven't passed through. Since I haven't seen anything odd as far as any pill form, I'm guessing they are dissolving as they should. Good luck and Godspeed with your upcoming procedure.

Bobby (Charleston guy)

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
LadyHope

Hi Quietgirl, I wanted to wish you good luck with your upcoming operation. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers on December 4. In March, it will be three years for me with my ileostomy. The only advice that I may give is to make certain that your stoma siting is in a comfortable place on your stomach. Bend over, roll over, move all around with an actual ostomy pouch in place after the nurse and you select a location for your stoma. It is easy to change the spot pre-op if the location feels uncomfortable. Sometimes the doctors do not have a choice where they place your stoma and the placement location is not ideal. You will read about lots of concerns because of the location of the stoma. Most of the ostomy information a new ostomate learns is by trial and error. If you remember, ask the nurse for the ostomy CD. If the nurse does not have one available, email the UOAA.org and they will send you the information. This CD is very helpful and informational. Also, don't get discouraged with the process of appliance changing because it takes time to learn and feel comfortable with the process. Also, each one of us has a different body type so the medical supplies work differently. My routine may not fit your need and vice versa. Keep positive and keep posting all of your questions. We are all here to help one another. This site was a blessing. For me, having my stoma that I named Stanley saved my life. I am grateful. Also, if you would like to read about my medical journey, I wrote a short book titled Stanley and Me Make Three. It is available on Amazon, Barnes and Noble, and the Tate Publishing websites. Take care and best wishes. LH - Jayne Prescott

Bill

Hello Mandy. Your other two postees gave such good advice I'm a bit stumped for words so let me just wish you wel for your procedure and hope that you join us on here again to let us know how you got on. Best wishes

Bill

quietgirl

Thanks, Bob! That's a really good tip! I'll ask about that at my pre-op tomorrow!  

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
quietgirl

Thanks Jayne - I didn't even know I had a say in the location of my stoma! I will ask the nurse when I see her! I'm in the UK, so probably don't have access to the exact CD you mention, but I'll bet there's an equivalent - I'll ask about that too! I appreciate that we're all different and there's a lot I won't know until I actually "get there", so to speak. Well done for writing a book - that's great! I will check it out!

quietgirl

Thanks very much, Bill - I'll keep you all updated! 

Ewesful

You have been given just what I tell people --

Especially try having a bag on and be sure that you are not allergic to the adhesive as I was -- the team found a safe one for me. I also tried a cup of water in the bag to get a feeling of the weight. I am sooo pleased with mine, not that it has been a perfect journey so far as - you will have your days - but learn to laugh and you will sail through... Prayers and a positive attitude ---

quietgirl

Thanks! I've been trying a few different bags this week & unfortunately do seem to react to the adhesive on the ones I've tried so far. I've got very sensitive skin - the type you can "draw" on with a fingernail, if you know what I mean! Not so much when the bag is on, but when I remove it. The adhesive is so strong I think it pulls the skin. A friend of mine with a stoma gave me a couple of skin barrier wipes to try which was kind of her & seems to make things a bit better. Hopefully I'll find a way around the issue!

Mark1070

Good luck, Mandy. The recovery can be bumpy so don't allow yourself to get discouraged. You will feel a lot better very soon. Regarding pills...I had a few supplements that would pop out the other side, so I just break them in half now. This allows them to dissolve much faster. It's a work-around if you cannot find a faster dissolving substitute. Be well!

Ewesful

The nurse can give you pieces from several companies and put them on the inside of the arm for about 24 hours -- if the redness goes away in a few minutes, you are fine. If not, try another -- for a long time, I had one brand that really does a number on my skin even with the barrier wipes. I do like the Sensura Mia style - you can get free samples of all kinds (brands and styles). The best of luck to you!

Bill

Hello quietgirl.

I was having a few problems with the adhesive sticking too hard and making my skin a bit sore. However. Last week the Stevenage ostomy group organised a meeting where there were a few manufacturers giving away samples ( Thanks Stevenage) so I managed to get a few products that I haven't tried before. It's only been a few days but I have now found a barrier cream that seems to work much better than my old one. It protects the skin but more importantly it seems to lessen the strength of the adhesive bonding without making the wafer fall off. I think it's all a question of keep trying different products until you find the ones that work best for you.  Best wishes Bil. 

danieldore

How did your operation go? I have only had mine for 4 weeks now and I can pretty much do anything I want. I can go shopping and ride my bike and stuff....it does get a lot better. My life has improved so much and I love everyday. I'm 23, so it sucks to have a bag of poop slapped on your hip, lol, but no more pain and it stops you from doing nothing you enjoy......good luck

quietgirl

Thanks so much for all your kind replies! I've been on a bit of a rollercoaster since my op - I came round from the anaesthetic to find they hadn't been able to do it, thanks to discovering (much to their surprise mine!) that part of my bowel had collapsed will need its own op before anything else can be done! It's sooooooo frustrating, as until it's sorted I'm stuck indoors with only the enemas suppositories for company!

I've got an appointment with the bowel nurse this afternoon. Also got an appointment for a proctogram on the 20th January, followed by an appointment to discuss the next step on the 26th January. I'm also being referred to a counselor to help with my low moods! Honestly, it goes on on on...

@ danieldore: so pleased your op went well you're feeling so much better! ;

Mandy

Mark1070

Oh no, Mandy. Complications? That really stinks. It's not a good way to spend the holidays...but try to remember that it's not forever. You will feel so much better when they're done. I know it's easier said than done (we've all been there too), but try to stay hopeful for the future when you feel good and get your life back. Until then, we're all here if you need to scream at someone. LOL.

Oh, and don't forget to try to laugh:

danieldore

Sorry to hear that with this illness, nothing ever goes to bloody plan! Hope you stay in touch and I hope that you are okay and things improve for you soon... good luck