Ileostomy Reversal??

In this discussion
Replies
Views
ABB

I have colorectal cancer and was operated on in June 2014. I had an ileostomy and am now facing the prospect of a reversal operation. They found microscopic cancer cells in two of the 18 lymph nodes that were taken out when they removed my tumor, so I had 26 weeks of chemo which finished in March 2015. I have had two clear CT scans and good blood results, so I feel now is the time to think about a reversal. However, having gotten my life back, full-time job, and being out and about, I am worried about the restrictions a reversal may put on my life. Living with an ileostomy is not as bad as I thought, relatively easy really. Can anyone advise me on this issue as I am really nervous about it?
Many thanks
ABB

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,086 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Ewesful

I don't have a choice and have comfort with the ileostomy, but two others I know have had excellent luck with reversals - one has had cancer and the other FAP.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
LadyHope

Hi ABB, thanks for your post. I believe it depends on the type of surgery and what part of the intestine is being reversed. I have heard both positive and negative comments regarding a reversal. I can't have one - my ostomy is perm. You may want to Google questions as well. What did your doctor say? Will you have good control over your bms? Control is important because you do not want to worry about accidents and being near a bathroom the rest of your life. A good friend of my family had colorectal cancer, had a colostomy and reversed 9 months later. She was fine with some constipation at times that was controlled with meds. Research the topic and ask your surgeon/internist lots of questions. It is important that you know all of the possibilities. Take care and good luck to you. LH.

Newbie Dana

I had colorectal cancer with a resection, radiation, and chemo. No more cancer, but lots of side effects from the treatment, including long-term chronic diarrhea for nearly 4 years. 4 years later, I had a perforated colon, peritonitis, and very long-term antibiotic treatment after finally getting a (hopefully) reversible colostomy - at which time the diarrhea went away! Go figure. Like you, ABB, I was at first very gung-ho for a reversal as soon as possible, even though I had been told ballpark 6 months to a year, if ever. Like you, I finally got straight and got my life back, and I am really not in such a hurry anymore. I am actually feeling better now than I have in 2 years! I believe I will continue to improve, and I'm not yet ready to undergo that major surgery just for the sake of not fooling with the bags.

So what will I think in a year when it may become possible to reverse it? Who knows, at this point. I guess it will depend on 30 gazillion other factors at that time!

sova138

Hello! Very interesting topic, thank you for raising it

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister