Laser Hair Removal for Ostomy Site: Experiences?

Replies
Views
andyd

Has anyone tried laser hair removal around their ostomy site? I have a colostomy and am tired of shaving. I'd like to hear about anyone's experience.

Thanks very much.

Bill

Hello andyd.  Good question! I have no experience of this but I will be following this thread as would be very interested in replies from people who have.

best wishes

Bill

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,370 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

I don't know of anyone who has, but I think it would be something to consider before the surgery as it takes many sessions, and might be impractical if you already have an appliance.

If it were possible, I would totally consider doing it!

Speaking of shaving, how are you guys doing it? I found an electric razor works best, and I can get even better results with a "shaving powder" that goes on the skin and makes it easier to shave with the electric razor - you do have to wash the area around your stoma after using it, but you should be anyway.

bukowski

I just use a regular (or disposable) razor around the stoma. Obviously, be careful of the stoma. I try to shave as close as I can to the stoma, usually stopping about 1/2 inch away. Then I use a small scissors/trimmer around the stoma and clip the hairs the best that I can. It takes a few minutes, but it works the best for me.

TomFTW

I just yank it out! It gets easier with time and doesn't hurt so much. The hair follicles become looser. I haven't tried laser. I bet it would be tedious and expensive.

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
GraphX12

I am very interested in this also. The two things I hate most about changing my appliance are dealing with my hernia and the hair removal. I asked my doctor once about trying laser removal and his reply was, "Good luck in finding someone to do it." (I use an electric razor)

U K Mutt

Hi, yes I did! Prior to surgery. I plan on going every 6 weeks and for several visits. I had 6 or 7 treatments with 70% improvement. I plan on using aloe and drying with a hairdryer immediately afterwards in the office to ease mild burning sensation that lasts about 24 hours. I just use a trimmer as shaving created follicle issues. Then I apply a very thin layer of aloe and hairdryer at each bag change as a barrier. Works great! Good luck!