1 Month After Surgery - Feeling Weak and Not at All Well

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Ileo1

Hello, everyone. I'm hoping I can get some answers as I'm very concerned with my situation. I had a loop ileostomy 4 weeks ago. This was as a diversion from my Jpouch which failed. In the last few months, I started to lose a lot of weight from my illness and at the time of surgery, I was 86 pounds. Here it is a month later and I'm still 86. I'm 5 feet. I'm consuming an average of 2300 calories per day but can't seem to gain. My surgeon tells me that I'll start to gain after 2 months or so. But my temperature hovers barely over 96.7 and my pulse goes up to 130 after walking a little bit.

I should mention that I also have cellulitis in my perianal area and although taking 2 types of antibiotics, it's not going away and getting worse. The whole reason for getting this surgery was so I could stop my active sick Jpouch from causing abscesses and cellulitis. But here I am, still can't sit without pain. I used to run a high fever with this but now, my temperature is below normal which is just as dangerous.

Has anyone else experienced severe weight loss and low body temperature after ostomy surgery?

Any feedback will be really appreciated. Thank you.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,093 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Bettyjoe

I have lost plenty of weight, also no temperature though, and different ostomy situations. I am gaining some weight slowly but surely by drinking supplements like Carnation Breakfast in the morning and lactate milk shakes at night. I am sure you will be on track before you know it. It was also recommended that I drink Insures.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Sunny1978

So sorry you are feeling so bad. I wish I had advice for you, but I do have hope for you that things will get better. Keep the docs informed and know you are not alone!

Hermit

Yep, I dropped 80 lbs after surgery. Weak and didn't want to eat. Give it time for your body to heal.