Stoma Relocation

In this discussion
Replies
Views
kbd

I have some bad skin ulcers above my ostomy that are not healing despite every recommendation of my ostomy nurse. It is looking like I will need my stoma relocated. Has anyone had this done? How big of a surgery is this? Do you end up with your stomach split and stapled like with a colostomy?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,099 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Mrs.A

Hi Kbd,

I've not experienced either skin ulcers or a relocation, but wow, I never knew they would possibly cause a relocation of the stoma. Why is that? Will moving the stoma make it heal better?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
kbd

I guess the idea is that with the area free of the stoma, it will heal more easily. The ulcers are caused by Crohn's Disease, so I guess it makes sense to get the stoma out of the area. The ulcers are right next to the stoma. Everything from collagen patches to silver nitrate sticks has seemed to do nothing but piss the ulcers off at this point. Not looking forward to having my stoma relocated, but running out of options :(

Charley

I had a couple of ulcers, one above and one below my stoma, for several weeks after my surgery. We tried all the standard remedies but none worked. We always keep an Aloe plant in the house for medicinal purposes, cuts and scrapes. So, we applied the juice from a leaf of the Aloe plant to the ulcers, dried it well, and applied some Stomadhesive powder before replacing the barrier and pouch. We noticed a marked difference at the next change. We continued using the Aloe until the ulcers were completely gone. They have not returned. You might want to give this a shot before going ahead with another surgery. It might just work for you as it did for me. Good luck.

kbd

Thanks for the suggestion :)

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister