Need Support: Struggling with Drinking

Replies
Views
Irjosh

All I want to do is drink. Don't wanna see my bag. Can't handle it. Hate it. Gross

Bill

Hello Irjosh.

You do not say what it is you want to drink! If it's alcohol then there are many warnings to be had about that route.

I stopped drinking about 30-40years ago partly because it adversely affected my gut  but more importantly because it only took one or two drinks for me to become maudlin and melancholic. There was absolutely no enjoyment in the activity for me and it made my life much worse than it would otherwise have been. Since I've abstained from alcohol, life has had its ups and downs but it hasn't been deliberately aggravated by this drug. Whilst I can fully understand the reasons people drink alcohol, I do think that there are less damaging drugs that can give similar affects. Personally, I've come to believe that an edrenalin rush has a beneficial effect on both the body and the mind, which is probably why so many people take up dangerous sports and the like. It also has the advantage of forcing your mind to think about other things than those that occupy the thought processes every day. This type of 'distraction' can be beneficial if it teaches you that you 'can', RATHER THAN FEELING STUCK WITH WHAT YOU DON'T WANT.

Just a thought!

Best wishes

Bill     

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,358 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

NJ Bain

Josh,

I know what you mean. The first few months after my surgery, drinking was a great escape to help me forget about having a bag even just for a little while. The problem was, I like to drink beer and with an ileostomy, it balloons out and the output is nothing but beer. Not that it stopped me....lol....a true sobriety test is trying to empty the bag when you're tanked as*!

From reading your other posts, it looks like you'll be able to have a reversal. So your colostomy is a temporary eyesore for now. But you'll be able to share your experience with someone on this site that is scared sh*tless of having/getting an ostomy. And I'll bet that they'll be very grateful for your advice.

I won't blow sunshine up your as* but you seem to be handling it as well as any of us has had to when we first had surgery. Try to take it one day at a time. Continue to post and share your experience. Try not to let the bag define you. Wish I could be there to have a shot with ya. Hang in there, man!

Bain

Bettyjoe

Dear Jr, this new way is not easy, but it will be as difficult as we make it. 99 bottles of beer on the wall will not make the gross bag go away. Be ready for when you will have your reversal. I hope for you good things.

Irjosh

Thanks everybody. Doing okay today.

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Immarsh

Hi, my name is Marsha, and I was 15 when I had my surgery (ileostomy for ulcerative colitis). The resident on my doctor's service gave me very good advice shortly after surgery. He said your ostomy is part of you, part of your body, and it's up to you to manage it. Potty training is something that no child enjoys doing, nor does the parent of "said child". But every child learns to "manage" their body functions....and eventually forget the trauma of "the first times". We ostomates have had to adapt to and relearn new management techniques for our new bodies, and while it takes a period of adjustment....it's so much better to do so in a positive way.

I've had my ostomy for 50 plus years, since I was a child of 15......It's my badge of survival, and it's given me the opportunity to live a full and active life. I am grateful..... You have been given the opportunity to restart your life.......so I hope you can accept the changes and be grateful for that opportunity. I had a friend when I was younger who was facing the same surgery but died before it was scheduled. When I have my negative moments....I think of the alternatives.

Best of luck to you.

Irjosh

Still messing up. Sick as a dog now. Maybe dry out over the weekend. So sick. Hope I didn't get a hernia from dry heaves.

Past Member

Legend

NJ Bain

Josh,

One thing my ET nurse taught me for coughing and throwing up. Hold a pillow close and tight to your stomach when doing either. It will make it more bearable and may prevent a hernia risk.

Bain