Returning to Normal After Irrigation with an Ostomy?

Replies
Views
SharronB

Hi there

I'm quite interested in trying this out. When you do it, can you go back to the normal way? Or as normal as pooping can get with an ostomy, lol

Bill

Hello SharronB. 

Of course you could go back to pooping with no control except to catch it in a bag. However,  if you manage to successfully irrigate, I would predict that you will not want to go back to that method.  I hope you give it a go - for your own 'convenience', wellbeing and future management of the stoma.

Best wishes

Bill

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,374 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

CactusJack

Irrigation is awesome. After surgery, life was a mess. I work in a school, so having a stoma and deciding to go into action at any time was ridiculous. Since I started irrigating, I have almost total control over when I go to the toilet, and if I get my diet right, I can even go without bags. I used a Coloplast Plug for a few weeks in the summer when I went on holiday. Give it a try and persevere!

Bettyjoe

Oh boy, the more I read about this, the more I want to irrigate. Right now, my supplier made a mistake with the items that are needed. Once they arrive, I am going for it. I will keep you guys posted. This has been a long process for me with this irrigation thing, but I am determined. Thanks Bill, you are a strong advocate for this model. I need that.

CH

Hi SharronB...I am relatively new to the irrigation process..have been doing it for about 2 months and it has changed my life! For me, the whole process takes about 35-40 minutes...no more bags to deal with..I wear a stoma "patch" and have had great success with it. I agree with Bill that I don't think you will want to go back to the other way, but if it's not for you then yes, you can go back! I was so afraid to try it at first but am very thankful that I did...it really is life-changing! Blessings...CH

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
SharronB

Thank you so much! I think I am going to go for it :)

Past Member

Woohoo, go for it, either way it is better, sometimes I forget I'm an ostomate, been doing it for 4 years

CH

Great...keep me posted on how you're doing and if you have any questions or need any help. If I can help, I'll be happy to. You'll do great! :)

CH

By the way...my surgery was also in October 2014 and mine was also stage 3...still some discrepancies in exactly where mine originated from...tumor was very low...really rectal cancer but may have started in the cervix but the surgeons have agreed to disagree...ha...had a complete hysterectomy too just to be safe. Good luck! :)