Fear of Dating with a Colostomy: Overcoming the Dread

Replies
Views
daukdeb

How does one get past the fear of starting to date, but dread telling strangers about having a colostomy?

allierob77

Please message me, I'm happy you "liked" my profile.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,315 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

I have thought about this very thing as I am sure many have. I have a temporary ileostomy and can only hope my reversal surgery is successful. It's hard enough dating and seeing if there is enough interest to continue with a person, let alone the right time to disclose. I think a person of strong character who is looking for the right qualities will endure. I have been told if he doesn't stick around, it's his loss. I can see this, but also if not explained right, it could scare someone off. I personally think if someone sees your outlook and how you enjoy life, it will make them see you in a different light. I have a good friend who had her arm amputated above the elbow, and her husband left her over it, yet men flock to her. Personality, a big smile, and her zesty way is what I see in her. She does not wear a prosthetic and feels people can accept her flaws.

daukdeb

Hi there!

Bill

Hello daukdeb. Thanks for the post which gives people like me a chnace to use a few remaining brain cells.

Fear comes in many forms and possibly one of the most common ones is what we call 'anxiety'. I have no magic formula for overcoming this but there are some techniques that have been useful to people in the past. One such technique is to 'face the fear'.  explore it until you know it inside out, then you begin to know yourself and can build defences to stop any future anxieties/ fear having the same negative effects in future.

Fear is like any other emotion in that it has an enrgy and a force of its own. This energy (like other energies) can become negative, positive or neutral depending upon how it's controlled and used. It can be a really good motivational factor in moving forward if the person can understand it and make it work for them rather than against.

Anyway! I've never met anyone who is perfect so why not leave telling people what you feel is a flaw in yourself, until they start sharing what they think is wrong with themselves.  You might find that you will be waiting a long time, as many people have difficulty seeing their own flaws.

Best wishes

Bill

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Mikegnv

You might like to read a book by Brenda Elsagher called, "It's in the Bag and Under the Covers." There is a whole chapter on establishing new relationships with contributions from people who've been through it. Timing is an individual thing, but self-confidence, flexibility, humor, and a willingness to take some risks can all be important. Good luck!

sunasea

Hi dating person, there are two schools of thought on telling someone your challenge: one, wait until they get to know you or two, let them know right away. I would only suggest to use both ideas depending on how you read the person, so no absolute rule. Good luck and I hope for the best for you. I guess what we have, we have forever and you need people to date worth dating. Caring and understanding people.

Take care.

daukdeb

Hey there, bud! How are you?

Teddiee

There is a topic on here about this.