Exploding or Eruptions

In this discussion
Replies
Views
tiger227
Hi all

I had a problem with exploding or eruptions which is due to blockage.

I used to suffer terribly with them, the pain is unbearable, until my stoma nurse suggested I try Movicol.

I had tried every laxative under the sun to no avail, so I was a bit dubious as to whether Movicol would work for me.
My diet or drinking plenty of fluid didn't help (I drink gallons of cranberry juice a day).
I went to see my doctor and asked him to prescribe Movicol for me to try.

I haven't looked back since, no more unbearable pain, the motion comes through like toothpaste and it has changed my life.

I have to take 2 to 8 sachets a day, if I forget then I am in deep trouble again (so best not to forget...LOL)

I have a visit from my stoma nurse the 1st Tuesday of each month, and her advice and reassurance is invaluable to me.

If you have any questions about anything, please let me know, and I am sure I can get the correct answer from her.

Take care all my stoma friends.

Speak to you soon

Hugs

JeanXX
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,086 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

TexasGirl

Hi Jean. I haven't had the problem that you speak of. I have a colostomy. But a friend of mine with an ileostomy has had problems with blockage. She has been in and out of the hospital due to it and it has been extremely painful at times. I do not believe she is taking anything for it. Her surgeon told her that this is something that she will have to deal with. I was wondering if you have an ileostomy and if this is something common to those that do? Thank you for any info you can give me. Debi

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Txgirl
Hi Jean Debi....I'm kind of new, so this may be a dumb question.
Does a colostomy (what I have) ever get a blockage, and when an ileostomy does get a blockage, is it internally or at the opening?
Thanks, Hannah
gutenberg
Hi Hannah, Ed here. When you get a blockage with an ileostomy it is internally and man o man can it do wonders for your vocabulary, I've had quite a few and wanted to die, even Morphine was not enough to take away all the pain, finally a local surgeon said Ed I can take care of this shit for you, I said go for it, he did and for the last three years have never had to go through that again. By the way you're doing a hell of a job in these forums, many thanks. Ed
TexasGirl

Hi again folks. Hannah, I have never had a problem with blockage but my friend has and I think it is due to scar tissue. Was that your problem, Ed? What I don't understand is if they do surgery to remove the scar tissue then it seems like there would be more scar tissue. Can someone explain this to me? Thank you, Debi

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
tiger227
Hi Debi

Many thanks for your reply.

I had a ruptured bowel about 10 years ago, and it almost cost me my life. When I woke up six days after the operation, I was horrified to find I had been operated on and a diversion done.

I woke up with a stoma.

After a long recovery, I decided not to go down the road to have a reversal and get on with my life with the stoma.

My diet is pretty healthy, but I don't eat much fruit. I do drink a lot of cranberry juice, which I thought might help avoid any blockage, but it didn't.

My doctor prescribed me umpteen different laxatives to try and help the problem, but to no avail.

I have a stoma nurse who visits me once a month and brings my medical supplies.

I mentioned the problem to her, and she suggested I ask my doctor to prescribe MOVICAL for me, which he did, and it has helped with the problem in a big way.

I have to take between 2 and 6 sachets a day, but it is worth it for the relief I get from not suffering the agonizing pain of a blockage.

I do hope this helps.

Speak to you soon

Take care

Jean
tiger227
Hi Hannah

I think the answer to your question is that it is just like a blockage of the colon, and nothing moves, hence the blockage.

In some cases, the blockage has to be removed by going into the hospital, but THANK GOD I haven't had to do that yet.

My stoma nurse asked me to ask my doctor to prescribe MOVICAL for me, which is a laxative and works gently to move the motion through the system.

I have not looked back since using it.
I have to take 2 to 6 sachets a day, but it keeps the blockages at bay so it is worth it.

Hope this helps you

Speak to you soon

Take care
Jean
weewee

Hello, have you tried the natural remedies like apple juice, prune juice, and stuff like that? My system is like a baby's. Feed me apple juice and boy, oh boy! LOL

budd002

Queen of obstructions here! If a doctor would so much as look at my stomach, I would get one. For the most part, I would fix it myself at home by drinking lots of water and eating room temperature applesauce and just relaxing. Not letting anything stress me out so my intestine would settle down and things would get flowing again.

After my surgery, I was told not to take any kind of laxative and I haven't, not to mention as soon as it hits the back of my throat, I tend to throw up (just ask the nurse who didn't believe me).

I do, however, get to a point where I can no longer deal with the pain and I'm actually throwing my own "stuff" back up. When I start throwing up dark green/black stuff, it's time to go.

tiger227
Hi Debi

I had surgery and a stoma put in place 10 years ago.
I had terrible problems with constipation and blockages until my stoma nurse suggested MOVICOL. I have not looked back since.
I take between 2 and 8 a day. It comes in sachets and I mix it with water.
I very rarely get a buildup now, but when I do, it is extremely painful.

Hugs
Jean
Ewesful

I am wondering about the pain issues -- sounds like they are not the actual stoma but from the remaining intestine that is blocking with adhesions or whatever -- mine is a permanent ileostomy and have had some issues with burning at the stoma - have that straightened out - but the system works fine.

Adhesions are horrible and if you do have further surgery ask for the adhesion covering that prevents them -- I learned about it at DHMC in NH

Wish all of you the very best

Ewesful