Hot Tub

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Ostomyspouse

Due to bladder cancer, my husband recently underwent surgery in 7/2016. He has a urostomy pouch and a temporary ileal ostomy pouch. My question is this: he has a hot tub that he used for medical reasons for the last 25 years. All the information on this site is years old. Is there any new ostomy products or tips anyone has for me? He still has a few months before he is able to do any water activities. I am mostly concerned about hot tub use. I appreciate any ideas on this subject.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,095 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

NJ Bain

Ostomy spouse,

I have an ileostomy and I've used the hot tub with no real issue. The pouch, depending on the manufacturer, should withstand the temperature of the water.

The only issue I had the last time I used the hot tub was that I cut off the tape around the pouch because my skin has an allergic reaction to it. So when I got in the hot tub, some of the residue from the wafer got into my chest hair. It was kind of like the leftover residue from getting hair removed by wax.

I've posted this link before for ostomates that love to swim. This may be an option if you're worried about issues with the pouches in the hot tub.

Waterproof Ostomy Protector

Hope this helps.

Bain

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Primeboy

I have been in a number of hot tubs without any issues. I also swam in the very warm Mediterranean Sea, waves and all, without any weakening of the appliance. Of course, the standard practice when going into any water with ostomies is to do so with empty pouches. An extra precaution, I suppose, but sensible. Be not afraid.

Ostomyspouse

Thank you for the information.