Ladies. Period and Ileostomy. Help please!

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Katerina.kits

Hi everyone. I am only in week 4 of recovery from my ileostomy. I have had everything removed with a temp ileo ready for pouch surgery in 6 months (maybe). I was due on my period 2 days ago. Still no sign of period but last night I woke up at 2am in agony, still no sign of period. I'm still in pain this morning. Could this be because my period is coming? Bag is still functioning and it's not watery. I've had such a bad time during recovery. Just as I started to feel better I got post-op wound infection. It's been a rough ride, as soon as I start to feel normal something else happens. Is this normal??

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,086 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

vikinga

Hi Katerina,

Your body has been through a lot. Not strange at all that it could throw your period off a bit. Still, run it by your doc. Infections and wounds can also produce pain. Does the pain feel like menstrual cramps or does it feel different? That would also be a clue.

I'm menopausal, but during my hospital ordeal, I also had heavy pains that I thought were surgery related. Then bleeding "down below" when they insisted on yanking me up to sit in a chair. I was scared to see so much blood! I basically had to figure it out myself. They didn't give me an answer. I got a surgical pad from a nurse and put it between my legs for a few hours and it became clear which opening it was coming from. Although I am in menopause, I am also on bio-identical hormones and had left those at home during my emergency hospital stay. My body somehow got the message to begin periods again!!

Once I got back on them, the bleeding stopped.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Katerina.kits

Hiya. It was a cramping pain, the doc said to have regular painkillers and that seemed to do the trick, the day after I was fine. Still no period though. But on the plus side, no pain. I've had a post-operation wound infection, but that's cleared up now and the scar is almost healed. Hopefully, I'll get a period someday soon. I was always regular and to the date pre-op, but I understand my body needs to get back to 'normal' first. Thanks for your reply xx

Ewesful

You may be off schedule for a while anyway -- anything this drastic can change cycles! Glad you are healing -- lots of luck ahead.

Past Member

I have had my ileostomy for 4 months and my period is still way off schedule, I guess it takes awhile to get back on track after so much messin' with your insides.

Best of luck!

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister