Experiences with Ostomy and Mic-Key Tube?

Replies
Views
BeYourOwnHero

I recently had surgery and now have an ileostomy. My doctor also put in a Mic-Key Tube, mainly to decompress the abdomen when it gets filled with air or whatever else the stomach fills with when you need an NG tube shoved up your nose and down your throat. Sorry to be so blunt and graphic, NG tubes are the worst, IMO and with this bad boy, I will never see another one.

I love the Mic-Key Tube and I have peace of mind I will never again need an NG tube in the ER. My doctor had never done this with a Mic-Key Tube before, I believe he had only read about it prior to my surgery. There are so many other uses for it but mine is mainly for decompression. It's tiny and looks like what you blow into when inflating a beach ball or raft. I was told medicine can go directly in it too - so many uses! I wanted to see if anyone else has one and how it's worked out for them.

LadyHope

Hello and welcome to MAO. I never heard of the Mic-Key but am familiar with an NG tube. Hope you are doing well post-surgery. If you should have any questions, please feel free to post them, all of them. Everyone on this site is very helpful and encouraging. I find lots of different solutions to the same concern. Take care and keep posting. LH

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,370 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Bill

Helo BeYourOwnHero. Thank you so much for introducing us to this gadget.

I've watched a few videos on it and find it fascinating. It looks aas if it would be useful to input water for irrigation but it would be great if the idea could be adapted to allow output  as well.I'll certainly discuss the concept with my stoma nurses when next I visit.

It's great to learn about new stuff! 

Best wishes

Bill

BeYourOwnHero

Thanks LadyHope. I am so glad to have found this community. It's pretty isolating going through this "alone." I have a wonderful husband and family but they don't really understand. For the first time in two years, I'm not so ill I can't leave the house. I'm thankful for what my surgery has given me - my life and my health back.

BeYourOwnHero

Bill,

It really does have multiple uses, it's pretty amazing. What's nice is how small it is, it's technically a pediatric feeding tube *I think* so it's small enough it won't get in the way. I believe it can be used for irrigation. The main reason I have it is to decompress air, the bloating can make me look pregnant at times but it can also suction what's in the stomach without the need for an NG tube. I threw a fit with having an NG tube, it made my teeth hurt so bad, it was like constant nerve pain. I told my doctor never again would I consent to an NG tube so he came up with inserting the Mic-Key; I think he's pretty proud of himself for it)

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
LadyHope

Hi BeyourownHero, you have a wonderful attitude about surgery. Keep up the great perspective. So many people, like myself, sunk into depression because of the "new normal". I was very fortunate that I had a spiritual awakening amidst all of this illness. Although some days I do struggle with my ostomy, life is still very good. I was able to see my nieces and nephews get married, have children, accepted to private schools, play baseball and football, win awards, and the list goes on and on. Plus, my husband and I were able to celebrate our 10-year wedding anniversary. Prior to surgery, chances were I would not have made it to number 10. I am grateful and blessed to have this second chance. Best wishes to you and keep posting your questions. Everyone on this site is so helpful and encouraging. I also have had the pleasure of meeting a few members at various conferences over the years. It is comforting to know that we are not alone in this journey. Take care and have an awesome week. LH

BeYourOwnHero

LadyHope, I appreciate your honesty. I too am struggling with depression and a sense of loss that most likely impacts everyone with such a huge change. I try to keep reminding myself of what I am thankful for. I still have my private little pity parties on a daily basis. I allow myself to cry when I need to. It sucks. It really, really sucks. But what sucked more for me was being so sick and knowing I wouldn't see my kids grow up if I didn't have the surgery. I think it's important to keep reminding ourselves that we are the same people we were before our ostomies, and for many of us, we are better because we are alive and healthier.

If I didn't find support around me and online, I don't think I would be well off mentally at all. It's overwhelming and traumatic for sure. It's not fair, but no one was promised that life would be. Remembering what and who we are grateful for makes something like having an ostomy seem more and more insignificant in the grand scheme of things. Life goes on. We have a choice to accept it and make the best of it or fight it and be miserable for the rest of our lives. Most will find their path to accepting what they can't control in their own time and in their own ways. Having support in real life or online, or both, is therapeutic and healing. We all need that, and I am grateful to have found this wonderful and accepting community. I appreciate this place, and all of you here.

Congrats on making it 10 years AND having awesome kids!!

BeYourOwnHero

LH and Bill,

I'm afraid I talked up the Mic-Key button prematurely. I had it removed in the ER Sunday after my nurse sent me to the hospital. I ended up with a staph infection, MRSA actually, below the tube. The ER doctor yanked it before calling my surgeon. He wasn't happy. He said what she did was dangerous, contents could have backflowed into the abdomen potentially killing me within 6 hours. My husband and I were horrified. It was 48 hours later we heard this, so luck was on my side, thankfully. I'm on a 3rd antibiotic and I hope the last. A wound culture was done in the ER and the antibiotic was changed again yesterday.

Looking back, the Mic-Key. It was always slightly painful, sometimes more painful than others, especially if I bumped it, and it never stopped draining around the skin. I had a fever for a day. One day. Other than that, I felt fine. They think the infection started at the hospital. Honestly, some nurses turned the tube without gloves and I didn't think anything of it at the time.

I wanted to mention what happened in the event either of you ever consider it or suggest it to anyone. I guess they can get infected really easily. I'm steroid dependent, so had I known this, it wouldn't have been a risk I would have taken.

Hope you both are doing well :)