Colostomy Reversal 4 Weeks Ago - Bloody Motions & Basically No Control - Normal?

Replies
Views
newlywed1311

I had a colostomy for 13 months due to undiagnosed diverticulitis, which perforated my bowel.

I had an emergency Hartmann's procedure.

My surgeon informed me from the get to that I would be a good candidate for reversal, as he had left 10cm of my colon.

My reversal was mid-December 2017.

My surgery went well and I have healed from my wounds as expected.

However, I struggle to find information on what to expect in regards to toileting after the refersal.

My surgeon basically said that my bowel function should return to normal (due to having sufficient colon left).

However, my experience to date has not been as I would have expected.

I have always passed blood since my reversal, along with bits and pieces of faeces.

As time has passed, however, I'm now finding more urgency, frequent night trips to the toilet, the inability to fart without it being bloody... It's horrible!

I would have expected that things would be gradually improving, ie, more formed stools, minimal/no bloody, better control, etc.

I had my first appointment with my surgeon since the reversal scheduled last Friday, and it was cancelled at the last minute because he had to do surgery.

I was gutted! I was eagerly awaiting my appointment so I could ask him questions about what's going on with me.

I have had Proctitis/colitis in the past - around 13 years ago, which has not been a problem.

However, these symptoms are very similar to the symptoms of my proctitis.

I'm wondering whether my bloodied expulsions are a normal part of this journey, or whether my surgery has perhaps triggered my colitis.

I doubt anyone can really answer my questions, however, I'm curious to know if others had a lot of blood expelled (well, it's not a lot, but it's always there) in those early weeks/months after their reversal? Or did you just have difficulty controlling/holding on - which gets better over time.

The problem with the blood is that I can't even fart safely - so I have to sprint to the toilet just to fart. Do you know how often we fart every day, without even knowing it!!! I do!

I did go back to work but have had a few days off because I just couldn't handle having to be 3 metres away from the toilet, and having everyone in the office see me go in and out all day. I can't focus on my role when all I'm worried about is if I'm going to crap myself or do a wet fart before I get into the toilet!

Help!

Jenerprise

Hello.

I had a colostomy reversal mid-December as well. I have a little less of my colon left than you.

I have experienced no blood or accidents (after the first few days). Did you tell your doctor or his nurse about this? Blood can be a big deal in this whole process. I would advise going to the ER immediately.

Jen

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,370 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Bill

I agree with Jen. It may or may not be a big deal but if it is, to delay seeking help and advice would not be a good idea.

Best wishes

Bill

newlywed1311

Thanks for your replies, Jen and Bill.

I have been waiting for my follow-up appointment with my surgeon, which was today.

He was lovely. He agrees that it's inflammation, not related to diet, and that it's not just an expected side effect of the surgery.

He has placed me on Salazopyrin, a drug often used for colitis or rheumatoid arthritis. It's a drug I've been on in the past, which has been effective. I'm crossing my fingers that it will make a difference.

I have a follow-up appointment with him this Friday, so I'll see how it goes.

I've also had another blood test and will have a scan on my arm tomorrow, as I have a clot from where I had my midline inserted.

I'll let you know how I go.

Thanks for caring.

Bill

Thanks for the feedback and I hope it all works out for you

Best wishes  Bill

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister