Ostomy Reversal Success & Cosmetic Surgery for Scars?

Replies
Views
Investo

I am a healthy 47-year-old who has always exercised and taken pride in caring for myself, being athletic, etc. On December 22nd, 2017, I went to poop that morning and ended up in excruciating pain. I went to the emergency room... After 2-3 hours, they told me my colon had ruptured. They removed 9 inches of my sigmoid colon. The surgery lasted 3.5 hours because I was so septic and almost died. I spent 11 days in the hospital and I am left with a colostomy bag. I have been told that I can reverse my condition in 4 months. In addition, I had an open wound and just got off the wound vac machine this week.

Any advice or help is appreciated!!!

While I faced death, I am happy to be alive but devastated this happened to me.

I am looking for support here:
1.) Should I be worried about the reversal success?
2.) Has anyone ever gone to a cosmetic surgeon to repair their scars? They cut me around the right side of my belly button then straight down. I know it's early...but I will want to cosmetically change my belly button and at least have my scar asymmetrical.

Thanks

Marty

NJ Bain

Marty,

I don't think you'll have to worry about the reversal as the reason for your colostomy is because you had a ruptured colon. Most of us with ostomies are due to cancer, Crohn's, ulcerative colitis or other forms of IBD.

I sympathize with the scar you have as you weren't prepared for emergency surgery. I have a scar from mid chest to my groin and it goes around the left of my belly button. I was an outtie before the surgery and now I'm an innie....lol. But scars do fade. I've not heard of anyone having plastic surgery to align a scar. You might do a search in the forums. Also do a search on reversal surgery to get better prepared for it. I'm sure some other members will chime in here.

Bain

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,433 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Jenerprise

I had a colostomy reversal almost two months ago. I am keeping the scars and owning them. I had a colostomy bag for about six months while a bowel injury healed.

My reversal went well. I would really focus first on getting that piece squared away before thinking about the cosmetics of fixing what happened. I totally get you want your old self back. My normal is a new normal with some limitations. I am guessing you will have them too with the amount of incisions you have had weakening your abdomen wall... hernias etc.

Have you googled what the takedown scar looks like? Mine doesn't lay flat and is puckered.

Investo

Hi everyone,

My reversal was on April 19th and everything went well. I was in surgery nearly 4 hours to have this done laparoscopically. My surgeon said that she had to remove scar tissue but everything went well. The first 2 weeks were no cakewalk at home. I had to use the restroom with mucus diarrhea every 20-30 minutes around the clock it seemed. I recommend a lot of sitz baths in the bathtub. Everything is working great now, I am 1 month post-operation and still waiting for the swelling to go down all the way. This has been one hell of an experience from start to finish that I would never wish on my worst enemy. I am glad to be alive and so thankful for the surgeon that took care of me.

I know it might sound vain, but I will look into cosmetic surgery 1 year from now...we'll see. I take great pride in feeling and looking good inside and out...just the way I was made.

If anyone ever wants any support on what I went through...please message me.

hateit

Investo, I am along the same thinking when it comes to how it looks now and after the takedown (reversal). I absolutely hate this beast and thought about killing myself because of this ugly, smelly thing. I told the doctor I wished he would have just let me die. Even HE was not surprised those were my first words when I awoke in ICU two days after he performed emergency surgery. (Background info: I finally fainted after telling doctors for several months prior (March, April, May and June) that I did not feel good. I was sent home after my third ER visit just 10 days before fainting.) I too, have always taken care of my body. Fitness was my career for over 20 years. I competed, PT'd, educated, taught fitness classes, and managed. I came across your post because I was searching if it was common to do cosmetic surgery afterward. Did you ever find out anything? I am curious also if insurance will cover any of it considering what it has done to my body. I have had to wear a support belt for three years just to keep this awful thing attached. I feel like I have a permanent crease around my midsection from it. I cannot imagine my stomach looking anywhere near the muscle tone I had. This has been very traumatic for me.

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Debbie

How long did it take for the stoma hole to completely close?

Past Member

I know this is an old post but I found it when I was looking up reversal due to me having one done tomorrow at 7am. If you can message me and let me know how everything went, the healing time, and things going back to normal. Kind of a little scared of all of this but figured someone can help me with how this whole process is. Thank you in advance.

moburak793

I'm sorry to hear about what you've been through, but I'm glad to hear that you're doing better now. The success of the reversal surgery depends on several factors. It's best to discuss any concerns you have with reliable doctors, such as those from https://www.visageclinic.com/cosmetic-surgery/breast-augmentation/. It's pretty common for people to seek out cosmetic surgery to address scars after major surgeries. A cosmetic surgeon may be able to help you improve the appearance of your scar. However, it's important to wait until you're fully healed before considering any cosmetic procedures. In the meantime, you can take steps to promote healing. Keep the area clean and moisturized and protect it from sun exposure.

Investo
Reply to hateit

Hate it,

I am sorry this has been years to receive a reply from me. I never went and had scar revision surgery performed. I am 53 and not sure I want to at this point.