Swimsuit recommendations for hiding ostomy bag?

Replies
Views
isabella

Hi all,
Does anyone know where to get a swimsuit? I'm due to go on holiday later in the year and have never managed to get a decent swimsuit that actually hides the bag. I did buy one from a company in the UK who make ostomy products, but it was no good and really old fashioned. Any suggestions are welcome. I wish I was good at dressmaking, I'd do it myself.
Isabella

Past Member
Hi Isabella,
Have you looked at www.whiterosecollection.com? Click on Women's and they have swimwear.
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Past Member

Know what you mean about the ostomy clothing company lines, always seem to be for the "older" generation! And they are a lot more expensive than the ordinary bathers. I'd go for the chain store varieties 'cause they're just as good as the brand names.
I have always used just the bathers I wore pre-surgery, a one-piece black cossie (Speedo) that does have a bit of extra give/lycra around the abdo area, which can withstand even West Oz's surf beaches! And the bag always remains unseen.
Never felt anything but confident with 'em on, and now have a lot more energy just to dive in! ;
Cheers and I hope you find what you're looking for!

beatrice

I've tried on the bathing suit I wore prior to my new ostomy... it will work fine.

It's a tankini, black bottoms (regular cut with a higher waist) and a slightly longer (ends about 2 inches past the waist) patterned top with a plunging neckline (if someone is looking at my bag area while the 'girls' are on display... their problem).

Patterned suits are better than solid colors for disguising the bag. With my solid black bottoms, yes, you can see the outline, especially when wet. Go for higher waists and even regular-cut legs -- not the high cut. I have one high cut bottom, the edge of the bottom of the pouch pokes through.

I too looked at the ostomy suits - ugly. I would also be reluctant to buy a bathing suit online -- at the best of times, it's hard to find a good fit.

Remember that most people have rolls, dimples, imperfections, etc. and we end up not really seeing them.

Enjoy your holiday!

isabella

Hi all
Thanks for advice and tips. And Beatrice, I liked your reply. Ha ha, good one. I'll need to remember that trick. I have a tankini, but as you say, when it's wet, you can see the outline. I wear a convex flange, and as it's quite rigid, you can see it. But I'll keep searching. I've got plenty of time to find one.
Thanks to all who replied.
Isabella

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
cee

Hi all, I am also going to a warm place next month. Oh, three weeks actually. I looked online too and then went and tried on my tankini. It looks okay but maybe the ostomy tankinis are better? Has anyone bought one? On another site, I read a suggestion for trying on your own bathing suit and getting into the tub for a half-hour soak, then get out and look at what it looks like. Haven't done that. I also have a cover-up and a sarong, so I thought I could use those and then take off when it is time to swim and then get out and cover up quickly. At least waist down. It is unnerving to think of this for the first time.

isabella

Hi Cee
The tankinis from the ostomy sellers are very expensive. I bought one years ago and it is no better than the ordinary ones. The only difference was the bottoms had a pocket for the pouch, but it really didn't help much to hide it. Last year, I also bought a swim skirt to wear on top of the bottoms and this was okay, but it kept slipping as I was getting in and out of the pool. It would be great to get a suit with either a frill or scarf attached across that area to hide it. I know that would definitely make me more confident.
Isabella

cee

Thanks Isabella, I appreciate the heads up. You confirmed what I suspected about the ostomy suits. Truthfully, I find the belts to be much the same way: ridiculously overpriced and the dumb pockets aren't much good. An ace bandage for a few dollars would probably do the trick. Or we could take the approach of a young girl I saw on a site who was photographed in her bikini with her bag hanging out for the world to see and a huge smile on her face. Don't think I can carry that off though.

beatrice

I saw that too -- but can't carry it off either.

One option I read about was to get a nice tankini top and then wear a board short as the bottoms. The idea being that board shorts sit away from the body and aren't a clingy material.

Board shorts usually have a longer leg, which to me doesn't really look the best with a tankini top ... so, I would probably shorten the legs a bit. I would probably wear a panty as well, to hold the pouch against my body -- as most board shorts are a looser fit.

I'm going to try this option for times when I'm in the water for extended periods (like snorkeling where the only ones who will be looking at me are the fish!).

For pool swims, I like the idea of having a short sarong that can be taken off just before going into the water. Or even just a towel that you leave right at the pool edge.

aapplet

Hi, I bought my swimsuit at Sears. I found a tankini works best, something that has a pattern in it with a full bottom. I just love mine. I have looked for a long time and this one just jumped out at me. Thank God! It is sexy too.

keysgirl
keysgirl

One more thing. I bought a maternity suit from Target last year for about $30. It's kind of cute. It has a couple of strings on each side that gather it up around the bottom of the top, so it isn't hanging all loose, and won't rise up when you are in the pool. The bottom goes up high enough over my pouch. The website I posted above had some pretty reasonable prices and some sale prices. I never did make it to the pool last year because of the cool temps in Michigan last summer. Hopefully we'll get some heat this year. Have a great trip.

Homie With A Stomie NS

What about a regular suit and purchase a cami over cover-up type shirt for when in the water or walking the beach and off whilst soaking up the rays.....

Have a great holiday, hun.

Tracy