Hello

In this discussion
Replies
Views
looking forward

Has anyone actually gained weight after ileostomy? How to lose it?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,094 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

Hi!

Yes. Stay active. I find that walking/running on the track daily for 2-3 miles, sometimes more, sometimes less, sometimes I skip a day... helps. If you are unable to walk, then keep active doing something that you love, exercise, but move. For me, it's important to keep a positive attitude and live like you're slim and beautiful. Also, for me, I have become every thought I choose to think, every word I choose to speak, and whatever food I choose to digest. God bless you.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Mark1070

Absolutely. Food moves through you so fast without a colon, so you're always hungry. You'll often get hungry every 3 or 4 hours, so eat smaller meals and more often throughout the day. Eating big meals is simply a waste of food. Staying active also helps.

Longroad78

I had UC and it slowed my body down when it came to building on extra muscle and weight with flare-ups that I never knew that I would gain the extra weight after my ileostomy surgery. I went from 236 before surgery to 215 after surgery. It has almost been a year and I am over my pre-surgery weight. I gained extra muscle as I am stronger at work, but in the past few months, I am putting on fat now. I found I was eating too many bad calories and eating too late in the evening. I also was avoiding greens because of the fear of another blockage, but I am slowly changing my diet and reducing the bad calories and testing the different vegetables. Staying active at my job is never an issue for me as I work outside and am always on my feet. Staying active and positive helps with the ongoing changes as I learn to adapt and work with the things that have changed for me through this new lease on life.