Seat belt placement for stomas?

Replies
Views
w30bob

Hi Withed,

I fully understand what you're saying about accidents. I didn't mean for this discussion to degrade into "who thinks what" about whether seat belts should be worn or not, and how folks feel about that. I was just curious how ostomates dealt with the seat belt "issue", for lack of a better word. In terms of stoma protectors, I think Stoma Guard is a brand name for one specific product. There are others like Stoma Shield, etc. If you Google "stoma protector" you'll get more info than you ever wanted. These are all basically covers attached to a belt that, when worn, keep anything from putting pressure directly on your stoma. Some are aluminum, others plastic, but all basically the same. For those with less sensitive stomas, they make pads that go on the seat belt strap itself to cushion the belt pressure on the stoma. For my sorry butt, I have to deal with high output most of the time, which means when I get stuck in traffic or ate too much before I started to drive, I'll need to empty my bag into a plastic urinal I keep in my car, and do this while driving or in traffic. So for me, I need access to my bag while driving. Having to remove the stoma protector, hold the urinal and the bottom of my bag, and pay attention while driving would be too much of a hassle. For me..........and I'm not advocating anyone else do as I do..........it's just easier to loop my shoulder belt over my right knee. This gives me access to my bag, I can easily see how full it is, and drain it without any issues, if need be. Now I remember seeing something that slips on the seat belt instead of you having to wear it on a belt, but that would be specifically for seat belts and not overall stoma protection. Bottom line is there are options, and each person's situation is different. Maybe I should have titled my post........If You Don't Wear a Seat Belt While Driving, Do the Cops Hassle You? Thanks for your replies.

Regards,

Bob

Past Member

I remember long ago in the hospital they had bags with a tube exit. Maybe that's something you could benefit from? If you wear a 2-part system, you can swap out your bag for one of those when driving and then hook it up to your urinal/container inside your car so any production can flow there without you having to worry about your bag being accessible behind a seatbelt. Not to mention less risk of spillage inside your car.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,371 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Charley

No, Bob. My stoma guard is hard plastic, about four inches across, and it fits tightly over the opening in my barrier. It is held in place with an ostomy belt that attaches to the outer shell. It is reusable. I have had mine for several years. I'll try to locate the exact company name and address and get back to you.

Charley

This Stoma Guard can be found at www.ostomyresolutions.com. The price has gone up a bit, but I think it is still worth owning.

LadyHope

Yes, I wear a seatbelt all of the time. I do my best not to have it rest on my stoma.

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Ocker

Bob,

In regard to wearing a seatbelt, I have a medical certificate from my local Dr.

That states I have a lifelong medical condition which would be impacted by

wearing a restrictive belt. Granted, the belt would lay directly over the stoma

and could restrict flow of urine especially as I have an in-dwelling catheter

directly in the stoma. However, the certificate only lasts for 1 year and then I

have to renew it.

One overzealous Police Officer did send me to court but the magistrate threw it out.

Different countries - different rules.

Best of luck,

Ocker

w30bob

Hi gang,

Thanks for the responses. I need to clarify something I said earlier. I don't loop the shoulder belt portion of the seat belt over my right knee........I loop the waist belt portion of the seat belt over my right knee. I got looking at it yesterday and realized I misspoke. My waist belt part of the seat belt passes directly over my stoma, crushing my bag against it and restricting flow. So far, the few times I've forgotten to loop that portion over my knee I've caught it in time before the barrier seal blew. Just wanted to be clear on that.

Thanks

Bob

spyder

I use a stoma protector made of carbon fiber. It was custom made and is tough and comfy.

Bill

'CUSTOM MADE'     Now that's what I like to hear. I therefore presume it is much closer to what you really-really want  (- as the song goes).

Best wishes

Bill

OU812

With regard to the seatbelt question, I just bought something called a Stoma-Dome on Amazon. It's a plastic "dome" with an open bottom to allow draining that attaches to my bag using special Velcro crescents (that also come with the dome); so no extra belt is needed. It's simple to use and it works great. It protects my stoma and allows me to use my seatbelt without the belt pressing against my stoma. It also lets me wear high-waisted clothes that previously caused pancaking. Hope this helps.

Past Member

Hi, I do the same as you. Put on the seatbelt across the chest, pull for slack, and then put it across the left or right knee depending on driver or passenger. Any cop will see the belt across your chest but not the fact that the belt is not across your belly but across your knee. I never got stopped or a ticket. They see the strap across your chest. Live on and rock on.

Past Member

And the below does not account for airbags or the precharges in a seatbelt 'pull you back system' which activates as an 'almost' instant event as the airbag is coming at you (did you know about these?! Nah, I thought not). Are people this naive, belligerent, maybe so, or really just thick? Yeh, I accept sh*t occurs, but to not use what you are wearing 'incorrectly' is just daft.

Horse to water scenario. Oh well, Tc folk.

. . . .

NSW Centre for Road Safety delivers a stern message to drivers. Ever pondered the consequences of not wearing your seatbelt correctly in the event of an accident? The NSW Centre for Road Safety has shown the sobering results after conducting a test at its Crashlab facility recently.

Using two dummies (maybe ostomates) – one with the seatbelt worn incorrectly under the arm and the other traveling in a reclined seat, or 'low riding' – the center stowed a Toyota Camry into a wall at 60km/h. The first dummy wearing a seatbelt under the arm is seen propelled forward into the dashboard, an event that would leave a grim prognosis in a real-life accident, according to stakeholders. The other passenger, seen 'low riding', also suffers dire consequences.
"All the force is applied to the abdomen which would probably result in injuries to the liver, spleen, anything within the abdomen," said Dr. Jeremy Hsu, head of Trauma and a surgeon at the Westmead Hospital.
"When it came to the low rider test, [there is] a very high risk of death and permanent disability."
The Centre for Road Safety released the vision to coincide with Yellow Ribbon National Road Safety week.
According to official figures, 30 people died on NSW roads last year not wearing a seatbelt or wearing a seatbelt incorrectly.
Minister for Roads, Maritime and Freight, Melinda Pavey, said the crash test footage should serve as a warning to road users.
"Think about when you have worn, or have seen someone wear, a seatbelt under the arm to prevent it from rubbing on the neck, or to prevent clothes from being creased, and think about the potential consequences demonstrated in this crash test footage," Pavey said.
"Another reason is beauty - whether you're putting on makeup in the mirror or don't want your spray tan to be smudged, you really need to watch this footage. Vanity is not worth it."
"Think about when you've been tired and reclined your seat as a passenger in a moving car or indeed reclined your seat while driving - as we see with young men 'low riding'.

Homie With A Stomie NS

Morning Bob....I do wear my belt, but I make sure I have my phone or some other item on the side to stretch the lap part of the belt so it's not laying on my stoma. Mine is located right where the belt goes, and I have a power port in my chest where the belt crosses. I just put my hand around it so it doesn't rub, etc..... Doesn't say much for the hubby's driving, does it? Lol. Happy Sunday...

Past Member

I am not a driver. But when in a car, I do clip my seatbelt in, but hold the strap a little away from my stomach. If, God forbid, a pending accident were to occur, I would then be able to let go of the held strap to protect myself.

Panko

I put the seat belt into the latch, lock it in before I sit in my SUV so I never unclip it!!

Then I get in my vehicle and slip my left arm through the seat belt that crosses your chest only!!

So the seat belt that strangles your bag or bags is actually behind your back!!

Out of sight, out of mind of Mr. Cop??

I have never had a tug from Mr. Cop since having 2 bags but one life!!

In case you're wondering, I'm in the UK and drive on the proper side of the road!!

Go well, Drive well!!

Jayne

Suggestion:

Have the belt affixed when there is no passenger in the seat.

Then sit on the seat and pull the diagonal across yourself - leaving the horizontal affixed behind one.

Gives support on a quick break - but does not cut into one's stomach on the horizontal.

Best wishes