Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates 20,285 members

What bags to use?

Posted by tmn86, on Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:14 pm

I have had a permanent ileostomy for 4 mos & am searching for a good bag set up that will stay adhered during daily baths,.Any suggestions?? Thank you. 

Reply by lovely, on Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:58 pm

Hi I have an ostomy I use Holister pouches 10823 and wafer 18403. Not sure if you can use the same as i do, I don't have a problem when I take a shower. Here is a number for Holister 844-490-2625. You can call them and tell them what you need. They were vere helpful and understanding when I called them. They will also give you samples. Hope this helps. Good luck

Last edited by lovely on Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply by Bill, on Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:03 am

Hello tmn86.

I had problems with many of the wafers not sticking properly at anytime (let alone in the bath). Every body is different and what workds for one person may not work for another.  What I would suggest is that you get as many free samples as you can and try them all. This will give you the best idea of what will work for you. 

One manufacturer did send me some 'specials', after I complained that their wafers kept detaching.  The problem with the 'specials' was that they stuck so well, I had great difficulty removing them and they made me sore.

Personally, I gave up in the end and made my own baseplates to which almost any of the manufacturer's devices can be attached without any problems.

I hope you find what you are looking for.

Best wishes

Bill

Reply by tmn86, on Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:55 am
Bill wrote:

Hello tmn86.

I had problems with many of the wafers not sticking properly at anytime (let alone in the bath). Every body is different and what workds for one person may not work for another.  What I would suggest is that you get as many free samples as you can and try them all. This will give you the best idea of what will work for you. 

One manufacturer did send me some 'specials', after I complained that their wafers kept detaching.  The problem with the 'specials' was that they stuck so well, I had great difficulty removing them and they made me sore.

Personally, I gave up in the end and made my own baseplates to which almost any of the manufacturer's devices can be attached without any problems.

I hope you find what you are looking for.

Best wishes

Bill

Thank you!

Reply by Pixielpn , on Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:54 pm

I've had good luck with Hollister and convatec supplies. If you ask them for samples, they'll definitely send them to you. Convatec even sent me a travel bag like thing, remover wipes, skin prep, and all kinds of stuff! They are great to talk to, also. 

Reply by Puppyluv56, on Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:17 pm

Tmn86,

I use both Convetec and Coloplast Two piece pouch systems. Both have their goods and bads but a two piece certainly saves your skin  from the torture of changing the flange every day. I have a swimming pool and am in it most every day in the summer and still my flange will last for at least 10 days. Call all of the companies and ask for both one piece and two piece samples. It is really nice to try before you buy! They won't let you return opened boxes so it is the pits if it does not work well for you. Everyone is different so the size of your stoma and shape of you stomach all has a lot to do with it as well as skin type and environment. Finding what works for you is the key to a normal life! 
Good luck,

Puppyluv

* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.