Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates 20,344 members

Constant leaks

Posted by tmn86, on Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:51 pm
TimeToGrow wrote:
tmn86 wrote:
TimeToGrow wrote:

Do you use a convex barrier? I have a slight bulge around my stoma and switched to a convex barrier. Made all the difference.

I don't , I use the hollister 2 piece but it's not working. So I'll try them! Thank you ūüė䬆

I would also recommend calling a few of the company's and asking for samples. I was supplied Hollister supplies in the hospital, so I just continued using them. After I switched to a convex barrier, I tried a few different companies and found I like convtec more. Good luck 

That's exactly why I use hollister!

thank you 

Reply by Dogluver70, on Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:29 am
warrior wrote:

good morning Idaho!  I see  this june, 2019 you had your surgery and the whole shebang installed.  Leaks are a very hot topic. everyone here has great advice about stopping the leaks. for me however , like you dealing with  blow outs was very upsetting.  at night it balloned- due to gas-- like a nerf football.  had to sleep on back..   boy oh boy. wasnt fun at all.. but  only one thing saved  me from future leaks. coloplast makes this half moon strip adhesives .  like big letter "C"...  half moon....use two to complete the circle around your waffer.. making sure some of the strip actually  touches the  wafter and the other half your skin.  this has been my resolve.  i didn't have to   change wafers altho,  they do make curved type wafers which also help reduce the leakage.

you see with this type of curved wafter, there is better adhesion.   I have used an accordian type waffer which really helps alot because .. one part curves to the body while the other simply hangs free to move around not effecting the waffer adhesion at all..

if  you view my profile,  just scroll to bottom for part numbers.  again this works for me. no pasteing..  never tape. its useless.  these strips are amazing.  a simple fix and coloplase with send u samples free.  i gather you use a two piece system with drainable pouch. you need to elborate more on that, if this is true.. whats yur system,? who have u tried? 

i also find they are water proof in the shower...  altho soaking yourself as one bathes, hmm.  could weaken the adhesive but have not tried  bathing. i believe if you were to use this system you'd get more life out of your waffer.. i get about a week if i am not too physical.  it always blew out near the side of the navel.. no place else.  not anymore.

also, ther are these tiny  pop off valaves available.   they stick to the pouch on top... but u need to  cut a tiny hole in the pouch.  dont worry the  valve is  made by 3M and it seals fine. this  plastic pop valve enables u to burp, releive gas in the bag without  actually prying apart the two peices..to burp it. the valve is faster but im sorry the smell is still there. 

these two items work for me and i recommend them 100 %.  others will chime in with their ideas about eating proper foods, liquids.  yes that helps..   i eat everything tho without any worries.  a good full week and i sleep a bit better knowing i am secure down there.  of course there is those  middle of the night runs to bathroom. to exhaust the bag!!    some folks will say the charcoal type pouches  help and others will say they are useless becuase if they get wet, they dont  function.   so imagine laying down and u got liquid output?? the filter just wont work to allow the bag to breathe..

lotsa trial and error.  hope this helps. good luck and welcome. 

Thank you for posting all of your helpful tips, warrior! I've had tremendous difficulty with leakage, and I swear, sometimes I feel like i'm going to lose my mind!!

Warmly,

Kat

Reply by warrior, on Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:05 pm
Dogluver70 wrote:
warrior wrote:

good morning Idaho!  I see  this june, 2019 you had your surgery and the whole shebang installed.  Leaks are a very hot topic. everyone here has great advice about stopping the leaks. for me however , like you dealing with  blow outs was very upsetting.  at night it balloned- due to gas-- like a nerf football.  had to sleep on back..   boy oh boy. wasnt fun at all.. but  only one thing saved  me from future leaks. coloplast makes this half moon strip adhesives .  like big letter "C"...  half moon....use two to complete the circle around your waffer.. making sure some of the strip actually  touches the  wafter and the other half your skin.  this has been my resolve.  i didn't have to   change wafers altho,  they do make curved type wafers which also help reduce the leakage.

you see with this type of curved wafter, there is better adhesion.   I have used an accordian type waffer which really helps alot because .. one part curves to the body while the other simply hangs free to move around not effecting the waffer adhesion at all..

if  you view my profile,  just scroll to bottom for part numbers.  again this works for me. no pasteing..  never tape. its useless.  these strips are amazing.  a simple fix and coloplase with send u samples free.  i gather you use a two piece system with drainable pouch. you need to elborate more on that, if this is true.. whats yur system,? who have u tried? 

i also find they are water proof in the shower...  altho soaking yourself as one bathes, hmm.  could weaken the adhesive but have not tried  bathing. i believe if you were to use this system you'd get more life out of your waffer.. i get about a week if i am not too physical.  it always blew out near the side of the navel.. no place else.  not anymore.

also, ther are these tiny  pop off valaves available.   they stick to the pouch on top... but u need to  cut a tiny hole in the pouch.  dont worry the  valve is  made by 3M and it seals fine. this  plastic pop valve enables u to burp, releive gas in the bag without  actually prying apart the two peices..to burp it. the valve is faster but im sorry the smell is still there. 

these two items work for me and i recommend them 100 %.  others will chime in with their ideas about eating proper foods, liquids.  yes that helps..   i eat everything tho without any worries.  a good full week and i sleep a bit better knowing i am secure down there.  of course there is those  middle of the night runs to bathroom. to exhaust the bag!!    some folks will say the charcoal type pouches  help and others will say they are useless becuase if they get wet, they dont  function.   so imagine laying down and u got liquid output?? the filter just wont work to allow the bag to breathe..

Thank you for posting all of your helpful tips, warrior! I've had tremendous difficulty with leakage, and I swear, sometimes I feel like i'm going to lose my mind!!

Warmly,

Kat

you're welcome Kat.  haven't seen you on here .  are ya new?  i have to peek at your profile.   brb.

Reply by frince, on Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:33 am
warrior wrote:

I use the same system with excellent results

frince

Reply by Ewesful, on Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:22 am

I wake every three- four hours at night to empty the bag--- it is probably gas that builds up and has to have an outlet.  There are gas vents that you can add to your bag.  ALso the old remedy is add baking soda.

* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.