Likes re: posts & replies

Replies
Views
iMacG5

I try to like more things than I dislike. I try to love only lovable stuff even if it’s people. I really try to avoid hating anything but I know that’s not always possible. I try to just dislike it more and try to eliminate it, fix it or just ignore it even if it’s people. Now that we have the option of “liking” stuff here I wonder if there are rules that I might be violating. I like when folks are kind, stimulating, respectful, gracious or well intentioned and accurate rather than optimistic or pessimistic. Few of us had years of post grad work at major universities and so what if we did. That wouldn’t necessarily make us wise. There are tons of wisdom here from folks who’ve been there and done that and we’re so fortunate to have us share our experiences. I don’t want to be thought of as that jerk who likes everything but there is a whole lot to like. I hope our "likes" can encourage folks to contribute even more.  Besides, I don’t "like" everything, just the stuff I very much don’t dislike.
Mike

newyorktorque

To like or to dislike that is the question (or so it appears). Making such a choice is not violating any rules. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and so is liking.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Puppyluv56

So Mike, the question seems to be:

Since there is no dislike button, if I do not choose the Like button, am I disliking the post?
lol

Pup

w30bob

Hi Mike,

I was getting ready to post something similar. My quandary is I really don't understand the meaning of liking something here or elsewhere online. So I also don't understand the significance of it either. I would love to know what the ground rules are for "likes" here on this site. Are there any guidelines, or does liking something mean something different to everyone? I would hope the latter isn't the case...... but fear it is. For example....if someone views your profile and "likes" it........is that the same meaning as when they like a post of yours? If they're the opposite sex does that change the meaning of either? Is a "like" a wink or a thumbs up? Really have no clue what's going on here. HHHEEEELLLLPPPPPP

;O)

Bob

Bill

Hello Mike.

WHAT'S TO LIKE - OR NOT TO LIKE?

I do agree with all you've said 

with what I've seen and what I've read.

I like a post that stimulates,

motivates or titilates.

I also like those that inform

or those that are not quite the norm;

Those that point me to more stuff

when I have not had enough. 

I like some of the photographs

and posts which are just full of laughs.

I also like the posts so sad,

and some of those that might be bad.

I like posts relevant to me 

because I have the opportunity

to reply and have my say

and often that will make my day. 

In fact I tend to like them all 

except for those where people call

others unnecessary names,

or maybe play abusive games.

This upsets me quite a lot

because on here, I think we've got

a fantastic opportunity

for a friendly, helpful community.

Best wishes  B. Withers

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Jules23

Hi Bob, I have liked some of your posts . Like" as in " the contents made me laugh, it was helpful and informative.. I don't know you but you seem an OK guy and that's nice lol

Bagface

Hi nbsp; Bob- I see it exactly the same way as Jules

w30bob

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies. I guess the issue I have with "likes" is I'm a "glass half full" kinda guy.........so I like the majority of things I read. Meaning it would be less work to let them know when I DON'T like what they say or do..........but I can understand the positive reinforcement thing. Seems once ;you start "liking" things though, you're obligated to continue doing it, otherwise if people see you liking posts but don't like theirs they think you didnt like it. Just seems like too much work to go around liking everything. But that's just me. Now how do I go and "like" myself.............where ;is ;that button............

;O)

bob

Jules23

I liked it for you Bob. He he. Get what you are saying though.

iMacG5

I don't know where to begin.  I LOVED all the replies and some need very special attention which is coming.

Thank you all,

Mike

iMacG5

As I mentioned earlier, there’s so much wisdom offered here. NYTorque, you suggest the subjective criterion to which I ascribe. You’re giving us an OK to express our opinions.
And Pup, me too.
Now Bob, you go way deeper and I appreciate that. Maybe “Liked” could be replaced with “Enjoyed”. Then there’s the past tense which might cause one to wonder if the reader still likes what he or she read. I often feel I have no clue and if I think about it long enough, it can get worse. We seem to be in the book if not actually on the same page.
Bill, you add more meaning to the wisdom thing. It’s not just the rhyming of the words but the thoughts those words project. I very much like your offerings and there’s nothing subjective about that.
As for Jules and Bagface, it seems you have a “like” triangle with Bob. The good kind.
Actually, considering our intentions here, it’s all good.
Sincerely,
Mike

Puppyluv56

and a "LIKE" to that Mike!

w30bob

Damn, wish I could follow that...........you lost me at "ascribe". Ok....just kidding. You're right........it's all good!But it does beg the question (you KNOW I just can't leave well enough alone) if there's a thumbs-up "like" button.......wouldn't it only be fair to have a thumbs-down "hell no I don't like it" button as well??C'mon, what's right is right, and if we want to know how our posts and replies are being received by the onlookers....don't you need both?Must be a slow week on the site..........we're talking about "likes"! YIKES.

I got to head out.....but when I get back I'll spruce this place up a bit and get folks really talking...........hang tight.

later,

bob

lovely

I use the liketo agree with a post because I like what is being said and I may not have anything to add to the post. JUst want to let the person know their post is being read and not being ignored. If a post is not replied to or liked the person may think it was not a good post. If it is not replied to or liked that says to me you don't like it.

lovely

I have seen some sights that have both a thumb up and a thumb down. It is mostly used if it is an opiinion they are asking for.

w30bob

Hi Lovely,

In this Politically Correct culture we now live in I believe the "thumbs down" button was outlawed a few years ago........as it was deemed the same as calling someone "fat". It's true, but considered insulting to tell someone the truth whenever it's not a compliment. So now you have the choice of either shutting up and saying anything........or liking it. Like Mom always said......."if you can't say something nice...don't say anything at all". We've just extended that to everything now-a-days. Next you'll be required to "like" everything whether you do or do not. Ya gotta love progress.

;O)

bob

lovely

Hey Bob, they may have outlawed the thumbs down. It is still being used because I have seen it recently. I can not be sure but I think it was on some soap opera spoiler pages. You are true in what you say about how everything is changing a lot of things you may not agree with. Yet if you express your opinion you can get in trouble. Anyhow hope you have a good week at work. By the way what do you do if I can ask?

w30bob

Hi Lovely,

Thanks!.......I try to make sure l always have a good week at work. When you love what you do it's really not a job at all. I'm an aerospace engineer working for the Navy and Marine Corps, as their subject matter expert on unmanned aircraft (drones) propulsion systems. Sounds technical, but I'm just an overpaid gearhead. You have a great week as well!

Regards,

Bob