Popcorn: To Eat or Not to Eat?

Replies
Views
Katdanielle_93

I looooove popcorn and I miss it. I read some people eat it all the time and others can't at all! I've had a few handfuls here and there but want to know what everyone's experience is with popcorn! I pick out the husks when I eat it. But do you guys eat it? Have you ever had a problem? Do you limit yourself to how much you have in a sitting?

Past Member

Hi, I don't have a problem with much of anything but beans. I have an ostomy but no problems for me.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,432 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

xnine

Colostomy or Ileostomy makes a difference. I eat popcorn but leave the unpopped ones alone. Butter them up and spice them and sometimes that is supper.

Puppyluv56

I am a popcorn freak! I will go to any movie just for popcorn and I get the refillable bucket! Eat it all! Go almost every Sunday. That has not changed since surgery. I do nothing special. No picking out hulls or anything. I make popcorn almost every night at home as well! Mostly kettle corn! OMG good! Lol I have no issues with blockage or anything else with it! If you have a colostomy, you should be fine! With an ileostomy, you may have to be a little more careful but like everything else, try small amounts at a time and chew it very well!
Good luck, I cannot imagine not eating popcorn!
Puppyluv

newyorktorque

I have a loop ileo and like popcorn. I was told this was a 'no no' food but I have no problems with it. Just chew it up well if you do. I haven't had this in a while so now I know I'll be buying popcorn on my next grocery excursion.

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Mark1070

From what I understand, the problem is more about the fiber than husks. I found a rice-based, popcorn-like snack that I love called Pirate Booty. Equally satisfying and no risk of blockage.

https://piratebrands.com/

Puppyluv56

I buy it by the case! Running out of popcorn is a big no-no!

newyorktorque

Yeah, I like that pirate booty too. It's good and the one I had tastes like white cheddar Cheetos!

Bill

Hello Katdanielle.

I have no problems with popcorn as far as the stoma is concerned. However, I do sometimes have problems with swallowing it, as my oesophagus doesn't work so well nowasdays.

Best wishes

Bill

Past Member

The only problem I have with popcorn is once I start eating, I can't stop! You've had a few handfuls and had no problems, so carry on and eat all of it! Lol... I've never taken any notice of those foods to avoid lists, just tried anything I want in small portions to start with.

looking forward

Hi, I have an ileo. Never ever eat popcorn, celery, or other raw vegetables, and so have no problems.

w30bob

Kat,

Should you eat popcorn or not is not the type of question anyone can answer other than your doc or those intimately familiar with your bowels. It all depends on why you had your ostomy and the current condition of your bowels. Think of it this way.......popcorn kernels that are unpopped or only partially popped will not be broken down (digested) by your stomach before they are released into your small bowel. So think of those kernels as rocks. If you can eat and pass rocks.......then you can eat popcorn. If you know what diverticulitis is.......you probably don't want to risk it. Simply ask your doc if he advises you to eat them and have him explain why or why not. I think folks on here would feel pretty bad if they told you to go ahead and eat it and then found out you ended up in the ER because of it.

Regards,

Bob

McFLEURry

Hello! I am okay with a few handfuls of popcorn! I make sure I chew a lot and drink plenty of water! I had a semi-blockage from popcorn when I overdid it once! Very painful!!!!

Amusement

You are in luck. Quaker Oats has put out a product made of popcorn without the husk. It is usually around the area where popcorn is sold, and it is packaged like potato chips. It is in the shape of rice cakes, and it tastes like buttered popcorn. It even has the crunch. The only problem is it has become so popular that you can hardly find it in the grocery store. They have many other flavors, but popcorn is my favorite. If you find it, buy them out as it will not be there when you go back for more.

Darrall Loggins in Atlanta, GA.

Darturbo

Well... Everyone is different, until you try popcorn for yourself you will not know if you can eat it or if it is something you need to avoid. I myself have no colon. I have no issue with popcorn or any other food, and sometimes I even chew what I eat.

Ewesful

I eat a lot of popcorn as it is nutritious and a safe food for munchies. However, my issue is FAP and I have an ileostomy. As for other issues, I don't know whether it is a good thing or not. I use only white kernel and I pop it myself, adding butter and salt, and often putting homemade maple syrup in with the butter. Sometimes I use grated cheese with the butter. I do not eat anything hard and find the yellow kernel not as puffy and soft. I also drink a lot of milk with the popcorn and keep hydrated.

zanzi1

I eat it, generally with no problems.

zanzi1

I eat it, generally with no problems. I have an ileostomy and total colectomy.

Past Member

Popcorn is magical and brings good vibrations. Love movies and going to the theatre often. Popcorn with hot butter and a Coke. Wouldn't make it a habit, but it sure is a wonderful treat. Popcorn and Christmas, the way to go.

Newbie Dana

I am so glad so many people can eat it with no problem! I am one of those unfortunates who cannot. When I do, I end up in severe pain and it takes hours to finally pass. I don't know why that is such a pain (pun intended), when I can eat almost EVERYTHING else that crops up as "no-no" foods! But there you have it - everybody is different. The advice is good: 1) ask your doctor, and then ask him why or why not, 2) try only small amounts at first, 3) chew, chew, chew, and 4) chew, chew, chew. (Notice how I got that in there twice, it's that important.)

renomar

I love popcorn. I have an ileostomy and eat popcorn, corn on the cob too, all the time with no problem.

I eat in moderation though challenging. But no problems to date.

MarVee

Don't be afraid to eat anything, but go slowly. Introduce small amounts and most importantly, DRINK A LOT OF WATER. Happy holidays and stay well.

vollovr

Has anyone heard of Chester's Puff Corn Butter Flavor? It tastes just like movie theater popcorn without the husk, hulls, and hard unpopped kernels. I like it better than popcorn. It melts in your mouth, so no worries ever about obstruction or tummy ache. It's in the potato chip aisle.

Sdp85

I am a huge fan of popcorn as well, but since my ileostomy, it has been difficult. I have found hull-less popcorn that is much easier to digest. There are still a few hulls, but not nearly as many. I've also found caramel corn digests easier. I'm guessing because it gets popped and cooked, softening what hulls are left. Hope this helps.

kmedup

Hi. When I was at the show earlier today, I did a "puppyluv56" popcorn ritual. I love popcorn too and it does not affect me whatsoever. I thought of you, Puppyluv56, when I purchased my refillable container; it made me laugh out loud. It is amazing what impressions one savors when reading all these posts. You made an otherwise unbearable movie a hoot:) Karen

Puppyluv56

Karen,

So glad you are able to do as I do with Popcorn! I will also think of you from now on! A salute to Popcorn! It is the greatest! Even a bad movie is great with it! (Maybe a nap too, those reclining and heated chairs are awesome!)

Candy

newyorktorque

Despite not having any problems with popcorn post ileo, I decided not to push my luck. I got a bag of Chester's Puffcorn. They're good!

Past Member

Hi, I don't have a problem with popcorn but make sure I don't eat on an empty stomach. The same goes for apples and sweetcorn. I've had blockages with figs and seeds before.

Past Member

Hi, I don't have a problem with popcorn but make sure I don't eat on an empty stomach. The same goes for apples and sweetcorn. I've had blockages with figs and seeds before.

Mark1070

Do you mean you don't eat popcorn on an empty stomach?  ;)