How long until an ostomy feels natural?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
rafi dobrin

Bob, I don't know if our ostomy ever becomes so integral to us that we don't think about it at all. For one, we need to remember to change it every 3 or 4 days. On the other hand, even though in the pre-ostomy days our bladder was clearly part of us, we found ourselves thinking about it every few hours when it clamored for attention.

By and large, I find my ostomy a real blessing and a very good friend. I actually think about my bladder less because of it. No need to get up a few times in the middle of the night because of a sensitive bladder. No need to worry about bathroom stops on every little trip that we take.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,099 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

stillmovin

Hi Bob,

This is my first time on this site.

I am a 64-year-old female. I had a colostomy in 2005 due to rectal cancer. My colostomy eventually became a problem....could not pass the stools anymore. In 2011, my large colon was removed and an ileostomy was installed. There is a big difference between a colostomy and an ileostomy. I believe the colostomy was easier to deal with because you just removed the bag and put on a new one. The ileostomy is not as easy. The regular emptying of the bag can be messy, leaky, and inconvenient.

To answer your question....do you get used to this...yes...sort of.

Once I learned of all the products available to make life easier for us people....I could forget about leaks and spend more time out with family and friends.

Being alive takes precedence over a leaky bag.

Take care

Stillmovin - Linda

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Hermit Crab

I can only forget about the bag for brief periods when it is not itching or banging against my leg. The smell from it annoys me but often alerts me to a leak or even the start of one. I hate it but am fully aware that I would have been dead 49 years ago if I had put off the operation any longer, and my daughter would have been motherless from the age of 4 years. Other physical problems, not related to my ileostomy, often get me down more, as they stop me from doing many of the hobbies I have taught myself over the years and make daily tasks painful and slow. So most of my life now is spent visiting the loo, struggling to get a meal, and being a goggle-eyed old codger watching whatever rubbish is on TV, even repeats, as my memory is not what it used to be, so I may see the same program several times until I know I have seen it before. I hope my eyesight does not get any worse or my ears go deaf as I imagine that would really give me something to moan about, and the stoma with its hernia would be a doddle compared to an existence with such sensory deprivation. At least in the meantime, I do carry on finding life funny and frequently end up giggling like an idiot instead of resorting to tears. It is true, there are always plenty worse off, so you have to accept your lot and carry on. J

Puppyluv56

Still moving,
Welcome to the site! 

sammy

In a way, it has been a part of you since you were born. Now it is visible and that is the new situation, which you have to get used to. The history and reason why people get their ostomy has a great influence on accepting the new situation with ostomy. If you have had time to prepare your mind before the operation, it seems that it is easier to accept the ostomy. A sudden diagnosis with cancer makes it more difficult to accept the ostomy because it will be seen as a lasting sign of the diagnosis.

I had Colitis Ulcerosa for 10 years before my operation and had four months from the decision to the operation, so I accepted my ostomy from day one.

It was more difficult to learn how to handle the bags and to get a solid routine in the daily routine. In the beginning, I had leaks but after some months, I learned the routines and found the perfect bag for my skin.

Today, I feel that my ostomy is the most natural part of me and my life.

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
w30bob

Hey everyone, thanks for the replies. My initial question is pretty much like every other question on here... in that the answer almost always depends on the individual and the circumstances surrounding them. I ask questions like this just to get a feel for where I fit into the group regarding specific issues. I'm glad at least some on here have fully come to terms with their ostomy and accept and even embrace the experience. Over time I'll move in that direction, unless something significantly bad happens to change that trajectory. I think it's also good for others besides myself to read about the good experiences some have with their ostomies. When all is said and done, your ostomy shouldn't define you. It might influence some decisions you make and will ultimately impact how you live your life to some extent... but it's not the end of the world, and as we all know... it can always be a lot worse. Thanks again for the replies!!

Regards,

Bob