Black History

Replies
Views
Angelicamarie

Black History Month, as it is called or referred to in the United States begin in 1967.

The event grew out of "Negro History Week," the brainchild of noted historian Carter G.Woodson and other prominent African Americans. Since 1978, every U.S. president has officially designated the month of Febuary as Black History Month.

What is Black History Month and why is it important?

In the United States, the month of february is observed as Black history Month or Natonal African History Month, we use the month to remember the important contributions and achievements of Afican Americans throughout our nations's history.

The following people are a ;few individals that are recognized and celebrated in African American History:

Anna Hedgeman-She was one of the first woman to be appointed to the cabinet of New York City Mayor. Anna Was instrumental in the day to day coordination and planning with in the administration. She broke new ground and racial barriers when she served as the executive director of harry S. Truman's 1948 Presidential Campaign.

Hiram Revels- Long before the Civil Rights Movement picked up in the stream in the 1950's, Hiram was laying ground work for what was to come. Hiram became the first black man elected to the United States Senate. Following his stint in the senate, he became the first president of the Historically-Black Agricultural and Mechanical College.

Okay everyone, this is my contribution and celebration of Black History Month.

Best Wishes,

Angelicamarie

Bill

Hello Angelicamarie.

I'm not sure whether we have a black history month here in the UK, but it sounds like a great concept to keep alive the memories of the struggles for freedom and recognition as equals.
During the early days of trying to put across the concept of inequality and domination by what was then the viewed as the 'white' minority, I found myself trying to explain how this same white minority was treating its own white majority in much the same way as it was treating the 'black' population ( i.e. as a population of slaves, to be exploited for their own benefit). In those days we used to call it a 'class-war' and there is no doubt in my mind that there are still remnants of that system being practiced today. I have always viewed it (along with many other aspects of human existence) as a form of 'BULLYING', which has been the subject of many of my rhyming verses. However, I will leave you with one which was written with this concept at the forefront , and is my contribution to your black history month.
Best wishes
Bill

FREEDOM
A bureaucratic internee
loses creativity.
When black men get their freedom
will they then free me.

Injustice and hypocrisy
throughout this base society.
will they then free me.

I’ve suffered through bureaucracy
and I’m as white as white can be.
will they then free me.

All men pay the penalty
succumbing to their subtlety.
will they then free me.

We don’t escape captivity
for this has been our legacy.
will they then free me.

I am in truth, a refugee
for my nonconformity.
will they then free me.

With my peculiarity
I see a similarity.
will they then free me.

I wish them very well you see
when fighting inequality.
will they then free me.

Will they take a Judas fee
or struggle to eternity.
will they then free me.

Great, bright future I foresee
with black men fighting ’longside me.
will they then free me.

B.WITHERS 1989

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,370 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Angelicamarie

Bill...."well said".

Angelicamarie

Bill

Hello Angelicamarie. 

That was a slightly longer version of the concept of inequality. There are many of my rhymes which reflect similar sentiments. Below is a much more concise expression of a similar concept:Best wishes

Bill

WORDS, MEANINGS AND CONNECTIONS.

The CLASS, that we are in today

is CASTE, which put another way

is MOULD, which patterns me and you

and MOULD is rotten, through and through.

B. Withers 1990

Bagface

I live 1/2 hour from the HarrietTubman House in Auburn, New York. My S.O and I went to a presentation about Harriet Tubman; didn't tour the home,as it's being renovated. What a woman she was!

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Angelicamarie

Hi Bagface... yes she was a special woman. Ms.Tubman wore many hats. She was indeed selfless and courageous.!
Thanks Bagface for sharing !

Best Wishes,

Angelicamarie